• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Algodon II pair & their one day old fry

sonaj1930

5 Year Member
I am not 100% certain that this pair is really A. Algodon II. Maybe they are A. Papagei or A. Algodon I ? I hope Mr Wise will help with the definite identification.
For quite sometime these two Apistos did not differ from each other. As it turned out they suspected female was really a girl. They spawned after being together for a couple of weeks in a 120L tank divided into two.
The fry were free swimming after 7 days. I feed them with BBS 2 or 3 times a day and change approx. 30% of water every 2-3 days.
Temperature of water was 26-28 degrees. PH:5.4 - 5.6, TDS: 50-65ppm, GH: < 1 deg. I tred to keep Nitrate level between 10 -15 ppm.
They turned out to be a beautiful couple. Interestingly the male has grown larger as the female coloured up over the past few weeks. They are peaceful and they seem to be very good parents. I kept them together for six or seven weeks.
Below are a few photos for you to enjoy. Apologies for thr poor quality of photos.

Courting…….

Courting and feeding on bloodworms

Her free swimming brood. First day.

"Father" looking after his "offsprings"

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The original A. sp. Algodon I was what we now call A. sp. Papagei. The original A. sp. Algodon II is what we now call A. sp. Putumayo from the Río Algodon. Now, the name "A. sp. Algodon", whether form I or II, is a commercial name for a mix of species from the Río Ampiyacu in Peru. Based on the dark markings on the female in brood dress and the caudal fin pattern on the male, I would say that these are A. sp. Pebas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….