• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Ph

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You will probably need a pH meter. There are test strips that have lower ranges, too, but you will have to buy them from a scientific supply source.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are several meters available. I use the Hanna Combo meter that measures pH and conductivity. It is not a cheap meter though. Hanna also has inexpensive models ($25 - $35) that will measure pH for you. You will also need to get calibration solutions. A google search for Hanna pH meter will get many hits.

scott

5 Year Member
sera has a chemical tests that goes down to 5.0, that's what i use. honestly i go by harness alot more than ph so the sera test is adequate for my needs.

blueblue

5 Year Member
I do prefer to use pH meter more as some apisto species,
such as Apistogramma diplotaenia, do prefer a very low pH
(below 5) in order to breed successfully. Moreover,
those testing kits usually rely on color as the indicator. However,
unless the water in the tank is purely colorless, the accuracy is
under doubt...

inexorable

5 Year Member
pH meter calibration solutions

I have seen meters in my perusals of mail order catalogs. It seems like you must use both a solution rated above and below the upper and lower bounds respectively of pH that you are interested in to calibrate these meters. Is that how it works? How often should the meter be calibrated?

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

For most of us, a 2 point calibration using pH 4 and pH 7 will be sufficient.

With regards frequency, if I follow the lab protocol, then the pH meter is calibrated once a day when it is being used. The Hanna pH meter I use at home, suggests that you could calibrate once a month. Key to this though will be keeping the bulb on the pH probe in good condition, eg storage in the proper solutions when not in use.

Regards

Andrew

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I calibrate once a month a use RO/DI water as a storage solution.. pH 7.0. I use the solution sachettes rather than buying the larger bottles of solution. Sachettes have a longer shelf life, especially if you refridgerate them and warm them to room temperature before calibrating. The cost of a box of sachettes is more than the cost of a bottle, but when calibrating only once or twice a month a box of sachettes lasts me a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….