• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto meeting at ACA 2011?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I got an email asking if the apisto people will want a 'study group' time slot at next year's ACA convention. He wrote,

"Since the line of speakers does not include one in Dwarf Cichlids, I thought it would be important if we grab one of the 4 slots, preferably a Saturday one so as to maximize attendance. The question is, what are the plans of the ASG given that this year we did not have a speaker? I remember that a couple years ago we raised funds through the Apisto forum to send a speaker, could this be done again?"

So what do we do. Input needed by early next week. I know who I'd ask, if we could get the $$ ...

Julio Melgar

5 Year Member
This was done last year for the ACA convention. Money was raised through the forum via donations from regular members and incentives thanks to gift certificates donated by some vendors. As to the speaker, I don't remember how it was chosen but I do have someone in mind that is very "Wise".

Come on folks, we can all help in having an Apisto speaker next year.

Julio

animalmgc

5 Year Member
raising the money thru donations from members is what I had in mind and maybe its the people who donate that should help choose who speaks.David Soares and Mike Wise would be 2 people I would think of to fit the bill for speaker.I didn't know the gift certificate was still happening seems it hasn't happened since last year sometime

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Study group speakers do not get any financial compensation from the ACA or the host club. Any help they get for going to the ACA would have to come from donations.

The Apistogramma Study Group is not associated with this forum. This is a message I have tried to get across to the ACA the last two times this forum helped to sponsor a speaker at the convention. I have since told the ACA (please remember that I am on the BOT...) that if they cannot get it right that Apistogramma.com is sponsoring the speaker and not the ASG (which does not function), then we will no longer make the effort to be a part of the convention. I have told them over and over and over and over that the ASG is not operational... but they cannot seem to figure it out. In Cincinnati we raised $145 after months of effort. The remaining $100 or so was raised by a forum member who donated fish to the Cincinnati club to auction to help us out. But even after working closely with the club and talking directly with the club and convention leadership (who are all friends of mine) when the convention started our speaker was still billed as the ASG speaker.

The ACA BOT discussed study groups at our meeting this Summer. Pat Kelly (CCA president and one of the organization team for 2011) was there, and we specifically discussed study groups and ASG. I told them that Apistogramma.com would gladly support a dwarf cichlid speaker if they wanted us to. So (no offense Mike) it bothers me that after Apistogramma.com has sponsored classes and speakers in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, and I have asked for the chance for our forum to continue doing so, that the CCA still is reaching out to an organization that does not function.

We are not associated with the ASG because the ASG continues to have a presence on the internet (since the very early 2000's), but has not been active. The site still has information for sending the ASG money. I have been approached three times since 2006 about checks sent to the address and never cashed. Mike and I tried in 2006 and 2007 to get control of the ASG domain and reestablish the ASG here. We could not get it done.

Mike and Julio... if you guys can clear this up and get Apistogramma.com the billing and have us not be associated with ASG, then we will work to support a speaker. I do not mind calling it something different. I suggested to CCA that it be called the Dwarf Cichlid Study Group. But until the ASG is officially reestablished and is active (which I would very happily support if they get that website updated and stop soliciting money for services that have not been done since 2002 (?) ) I do not think that it is in Apistogramma.com's best interest to be confused with ASG.

Rant over...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with you, Ted. A 'Dwarf Cichlid Study Group' would be much more accurate and appropriate. Since 'Study Groups' is kind of set in people's minds at the ACA , it's hard to get out of the mind set that the dwarf cichlid group is the ASG - which it is not! It needs to be changed.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I sent a note to the leadership in CCA letting them know that Apistogramma.com would be happy to provide a speaker for a study group on dwarf cichlids. I outlined the history and the problem with using 'ASG'. Hopefully they will take me up on the offer and make the change.

Thanks for your support Mike.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….