• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Diet

chapman76

5 Year Member
Would feeding my apistos a diet of spirulia flakes, frozen bloodworms, and hikari gold baby pellets (pre soaked) be a good diet for my fish? Anything put the bloodworms they just pick off the bottom or off the plants.

They went ape for the bloodworms. Just gave them to them for the first time last night. Should bloodworms be 1 feeding out of 2 in the day? Or should I space it out even more than that? I don't want to risk giving them too high of protein because I've heard that is bad. Any input would be appreicated. Thanks.

alias

5 Year Member
I never give mij fich flakes. Although they take it but its just not so good as the larvs and stuff. A give it once a day. Maybe the first time they won't eat it but when they are hungry you might get some results.

Although I have a little question, is it a diet for full grown fish or for the young fish.

about the spreading of feading during the day,well euh for very young fish I would say yes but not with to big food and for the fully growned once a day is just fine. 2x day is off cource better but then you may not give them to much. The more you give in a day, the smaller the quantity have to be.

grtz and good luck from alias

chapman76

5 Year Member
I believe they're all still young with the exception of one female. The male is about an inch, 2 females are about 1 1/4 and the other female is about 2 inches.

They eat everything. I just feed them twice a day with what they can eat in a few minutes. When I feed the flakes or hikari, they just mostly eat it off the bottom. The bloodworms they just tear into. I give them the hikari/spirulia mix to help vary their diet. All I can find frozen around here a bloodworms. I tried to find daphnia(sp), but none carried it. I can find freeze dried brine, but not baby. Should I just breakdown the fd brine into smaller pieces and substitute it for either the spirulia, the hikari or both? I'm still trying to figure this out. I can't tell if they like either, but they eat it. They LOVE LOVE LOVE the bloodworms. So do my raspboras and my corys.

alias

5 Year Member
hey chapman76

euh to bad you haven't a wide range of frozen food. Here in Belgium I have about 10 different sort of frozen food wich I can give.

Should I just breakdown the fd brine into smaller pieces and substitute it for either the spirulia, the hikari or both
you can try that but you don't have to leave the flakes behind though.
Flakes aren't bad for the fish we keep but I use it more as an addition to the food variaty. And then the most flakes with all sorts of vitamins in it.

To bad you can't get more frozen food.
You can catch daphnia in water in the summer. then you can freeze them in yourself for a hole yeare. But there is something about daphnia you should know. Daphnia exist out of the body of a daphnia and the body contains about 90% water. So you can see that is not actually a big portion of flesh on them.

For the rest you should give them as many different food you can find but always check how nutritious they are.

good luck and grtz alias

O

oddball_from_ac

i feed all my apistos live foods blood worms,black worms,brine shrimp, and fry babby brine

alias

5 Year Member
I always do that.
Since a while I clean my frozen food before I give it to the fish.

grtz alias

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….