• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. Agassizi i.d. (pics)

W

Westwood

Hi, I recently picked up these two fish which came in accidentally to one of my lfs. After some looking about on the net I *think* I have a male agassizi and a female agassizi "double red". The more drab looking one is close to 3", the more colorful one maybe 1.5". What do you guys think? These pictures are after only a day in the tank, so their color may not be the best.

Copy1of106_0665.jpg

Copy1ofCopy1of106_0655.jpg

I hope the picture size is okay! I did my best to resize them. :wink:

Tea

5 Year Member
Hello there Westwood, It looks like the male you have there is an Apistogramma agassizi Rio Tigre and the 2nd fish is a double red female. I have some wild pairs of Aggies Rio tigres and 3 other forms of aggies that I am keeping. Best of luck with your new fish. Nice to know that some one else in Wi is intrested in these little fish. Vue

W

Westwood

Hi, thank you for the replies!

Fisherking, is it the coloration of the second fish that makes you think it is a male? Unfortunately I do not know the ages of the fish compared to one another, but the 2nd fish is still quite small and the fins are very short compared to the first fish, although the anal fin does come to a sharp point.

Vue, are you from Wisconsin also?

Apistt_ed

Hello westwood,
I does seem like the smaller of the two is a male. Not so much as from the colors of the fish but the spade shape of the tail. It would help to have a better picture of the fish. In some of the aquarium strains, the female can have as much color in their tails as males do and I wouldn't use coloration as an indication of sexing fish. Because the aquarium strain is bred for color, it sometimes shows up even in females. So with that, I don't think the sex of the smaller fish can be distinguished until there is a better picture. The larger fish does seem like the rio tigres agassizii! He has great colors on his dorsal!! welcome to the forum also! hope this helps a little.

john

Tea

5 Year Member

Hello Westwood, I am in Racine, WI. southeastern corner. If you're interested in apistos, they're hard to find in WI. I keep apistos too. At the moment I am keeping A. Hongsloi II, A. cacatuoides, 3 types of A. Agassizii (Rio Tigres, Double Red, Red Gold), A. Trifasciata, A. sp. Mamore, A. Baenshi, A. steindachneri, A. Apache, A. sp. Bigfoot (David Soares fish), German Rams, and Crenicichla Regani. What else do you keep? Well, around here there are only a few stores that carry apistos but they are extremely expensive!! Where are you from by the way?

Vue

W

Westwood

Thank you for the welcome and the information!

Vue, I live in Oshkosh, so I'm not too far from you. The apistos in this thread I picked up at Hoffer's in Milwaukee, it's an absolutely beautiful store and well worth the drive IMO. I got a little female ap. cacatuoides "orange flash" there too. The fish can be somewhat expensive, but I picked up all three of these for $9.99 each because there was only one left in each tank. The pairs were going for between $30-$50, but they were out of stock. They said they get their new shipment in this week.

I also have a pair of ap. inka (I believe they've been renamed now?) and 4 small ap. borelli that I am still growing out. I got all of these from David Soares. I have several bolivian rams too, which I love, even though they aren't the most uncommon fish.

It's nice to know other people are interested in these fish in my area! It's a shame more stores don't carry them.

Apistt_ed

Wow! Oshkosh to Hoffers?! that's about an hour or so trip to Silver Spring... not too bad. Hoffers is a great store but as you said it is pretty expensive. I've seen A. Hongsloi II, A. nijsseni, cacatuoides, and your fish there a few weeks back when I was there. I make the trip about once every two weeks. I thought they looked familiar :wink:. That store seems to get a lot of the fish that I get an urge to try when I get that urge.
new shipment this week ey? maybe I should go see... thanks for the tip as I am never good at guessing their shipments. Oh and you might want to try Aquatics Unlimited in Milwaukee. not as good as Hoffers but the occasional apisto once in a while.! Go Badgers!

john

another Wisconsin-ite.

W

Westwood

Hi! I didn't think there would be that many people from Wisconsin in one thread! LOL! I actually did check out Aquatics Unlimited while I was there, I didn't see any apistos unfortunately but they did have some great display tanks! I picked up 3 matae corys there for $9 total, that's pretty cheap compared to my local stores.

I was actually on a hunt for a few sajicas (T-bar cichlid), I have a nice male who I would love to find a female for, but only Aquatics Unlimited had them and they were very small. I happened to get the guy in charge of the fish buying to bag up my fish at Hoffer's, and he told me they were expecting their shipment this week and should get them in.

I might have to take another little road trip this weekend! Maybe they will be getting in more apistos too, that would be great. Most of their tanks were pretty empty in that section.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I'm not from Wisconsin, but I've been a Green Bay Packer fan since about 1968, when I was 10.

Does this make me an honorary Wisconsin-ite? :lol:

Michael

strohl71

5 Year Member
I am a Michigan State Alum (Go Spartans!) and a Lions fan. Oh, and incidentally, I am also an Apisto fan. I keep a heavily planted apisto tank that is one of the centerpoints of my finished basement.

Just wanted to tell the Wisconites that I went to a Lions / Packers game in Green Bay 2 years ago and had a great time. The Packer fans treated my buddies and I well and were 1st class all the way.

Apistt_ed

so You heard the packer song in the stadium?... I feel one coming on right now!!! hahaha

yes.. the fans are pretty good.. but the weather here could use a little help in the "warming up" department.. hahaha that's how it goes i guess...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….