• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anybody know's these?

Jacco

Hi all,

I was looking at some fish from an exporter in peru ( http://www.stingray-aquarium.com) who has quite a few different apisto's. One of them is this one, which looks unfamiliar to me. Any idea's what this is?

apistogramma_Blue-Apistogramma_sp.jpg

Cor

If I'm correct there is a discussion on a german site going on about this fish. I believe some call it Apistogramma Gigas, other don't consider it to be an Apistogramma. The site I refer to is "das zwergbuntbarschforum".

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's hard to say what it is because the blue scales overpower any of its diagnostic dark markings. Darrel may be correct that it is A. sp. Pebas. The original species sold as A. sp. Blue was a eunotus-subcomplex species that looks similar to A. sp. Pebas. It comes from the middle Río Shishita, where TomC & I collected some in 2008. I lost that group, but was lucky enough to bring back some from Peru this Fall. I call this species A. cf. eunotus Shishita. It isn't collected commercially.

gerald

5 Year Member
Wow that Apisto sp. "gigas" Rio Curua on the acnatsci website is bizarre. Looking at the male I can see why some folks don't think it's an Apisto, but that shot of the female below it looks pretty convincingly "apistoid" - almost like a baenschi x macmasteri-group hybrid if such a thing was possible. Anyway it offers nice "visual support" for the evolutionary connection of Apistogramma with the Geophagus clan, supposedly their closest cousins.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The females of "A." sp. Gigas have very irregular borders on the vertical bars for an apisto. They remind me more like those seen on some of the other geophagines. I'm one of those not really sure if it's an apisto, based on the few photos available. Rumors on the German dwarf cichlid forum suggest that it will be scientifically described sometime in the near future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….