• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any good advice?!?

stina

5 Year Member
Well, now i have a breeding pair of nijssenii's, in my 200L show tank, with them i have lots of cory's and pleco's, and also my trifasciata...
Nijsseni' are allways bullying trifasciata, and the poor guy is allways hiding...
What to do??!
Is it better to put nijsseni's in smaller 10G tank with some furniture, or do i need to get rid off little trifasciata?!!?
He is so pretty and it is my best apisto... i would hate to give him away or just to let him alone i some other tank...but i am afraid that my nijsseni's might don't want to breed anymore if i move them!??!
regards

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Myself, I would keep the more aggressive nijsseni in the larger tank and move the trifasc to the 10 gallon and try to find a mate for him.

My trifasciata did fine in a 10 gallon tank. There were short periods of time when the female got very aggressive but it wasn't a problem with a clump of Java Moss, a piece of driftwood and a couple coconut shell caves.

Michael

stina

5 Year Member
But could my nijsseni fry survive in large tank?!?!
Idea is not bad at all...thanx

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Probably a few, depending on where they have to hide. The cories and especially the plecos would make it very difficult. I raised about 20 viejita to maturity with a small pleco in the tank, but I also had a lot of Java Moss in the tank.

Michael

B

Boleslaw Gawel

Probably a few, depending on where they have to hide. The cories and especially the plecos would make it very difficult

In my opinion the chances are close to zero, because:

with them i have lots of cory's and pleco's,

In my opinion what you should do depends on what is more important to you:

to protect your trifasciata (male, I suppose) from the aggression of nijssenii

or

to raise nijssenis to matority.

If trifasciata's live comfort is more important for you, I would suggest you to separate him from nijssenii or to add some more fishes to the tank in order the arrgession to be spread.

If breeding nijssenii is your priority you should definitely separate those fishes. Is 10G tank enough for a pair of nijssenii? I recently visited a proffesional breeder who keeps pairs in 16l tanks (when they spawn he moves the eggs to 2l tanks, then he moves the fry to a 5l tanks, then...)

If you move your trifasciata and find a mate for him, what you will see soon is the most beautiful view you could see:

trifasciata4b.jpg

Bolek

stina

5 Year Member
Bolek, i know what you mean... The thing is with that trifasciata is that he is sooooooooo beutiful... i will probably add more fish... maybe more trifasciata females...
Corys and my L#...well you wouldn't belive, but my female nijsseni has chosen one spot(small holle) on my bogwood to laid eggs, and there allready lives 5 L#...none of them even tryed to eat eggs :D
Thank you for your good advices... this helps a lot!
regards
Vedran

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
stina,

In my opinion a community tank is not a place to breed fish. You need a breeding tank of 60 cm length to safely breed A. nijsseni. If you keep a breeding pail of A. nijsseni with corys & plecos there is little chance of many fry surviving. There is also a good chance that the eyes of your corys & plecos will be attacked by the apistos since this is the only vulnerable parts on them.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
stina,

In my opinion a community tank is not a place to breed fish. You need a breeding tank of 60 cm length to safely breed A. nijsseni. If you keep a breeding pail of A. nijsseni with corys & plecos there is little chance of many fry surviving. There is also a good chance that the eyes of your corys & plecos will be attacked by the apistos since this is the only vulnerable parts on them.

Ask my angels about apistos breeding in a community tank =)
I'll never try to breed a fish in a community tank EVER again. My male cockatoo viciously attack them and their fins were all ragged for two weeks. They never even got a batch of fry out of each spawn because the eggs would be eaten by everyone while the parents defend the territory. It would just result in 1 week of all out war going on in the tank. Then two weeks later the angels would spawn and then the apistos would follow a week later and the loop of aggression would start all over again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….