• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any dwarf you want; share your thoughts!

Scooter

5 Year Member
For all of you SA dwarf keepers, make this post pleasant instead of a chore (and don't just read everyone elses answers).

Hypothetically, you're going to be given a 30g tank and all the desired equipment for keeping SA dwarfs, all for free. You're then told you can choose one species of dwarf (any one you want) to inhabit the tank and you will be given two breeding pairs of that species (or a reasonable combination not to exceed five fish total). Here's the catch, before the free goods are delivered, you've got to provide at least a couple of sentences explaining why you chose the species you did.

What would you choose and why?

Neil

That is kinda tough. I usually want to try a new species that no-one else has bred yet. Or something that hasn't been in the hobby for awhile. As far as apistos go- i might want pulchra, mendezi, miua, etc. All expensive and rare.
but if i had to chose one, I would probably want the rarest species of teleocichla. I don't know what that is, but they are very difficult to collect, had to breed and very interesting to me. An unusual dwarf pike would be nice too though.
Neil

Z Man

5 Year Member
Can I have two? I always want more than the other guy! My store had Mendezi a few years back and I got 2 pair. All in a 10 they bred at each end at the same time! I left everybody in and soon found ALL the wigglers under one flowerpot. Stolen babies! By the time I got to remove the odd pair they had eaten all the wigglers and all killed each other! I ask all the time but they are never seen on the list any more. They are a beautiful Apisto with a very neat caudal fin. These are my first choice. 2nd choice is A. sp. malbruter (sp?). I would like to see a mouthbrooding Apistogramma take care of her eggs.
Neil, I purchased 6 T. monogramma 2 weeks ago and already am down to 5. My wholesaler had a tank full of them so I took 1 pair and 4 smaller ones. Wish me luck. Any hints?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Zman, did your telocichla come from near Buffalo? I've purchased 6 from an individual in that area but haven't heard from him in a while. Got a sweet tank all set up and waiting for the fish. Deep sand bed (About 3"), around 20 fist sized rocks scattered about, temp at about 90, a powerhead for some current, and an 8" airstone to help the o2 levels. I used what I read in the Romer atlas as a guide when I set it up. According to the book, they are very sensantive to temps and need it to be at least 30C. Now, all I need is the fish.

Neil

My one and only successful (if you can call it that) spawn of T. monogramma was in a 15g. with heavy rockwork and a powerhead. 82 degrees, 6.0pH, low hardness. I introduced the female first and put the male in a week later. They spawned within a couple of weeks. After the fry (30) were free-swimming, the male killed the female and the fry were gone. Don't know whether the female ate the fry and the male didn't take well to it (I assume this is it) or whether the male ate the fry. The point is that it is a good idea to have more than enough structure and water movement. They require high O2 and are mean, like most riverine cichlids.

ps. That is a first - Mendezi at a LFS. Unbelievable. I wish my LFS carried fish like that, even on occasion.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Cichlids1, you are dealing with THOMASHAWK I believe. Very responsible guy and yes we got them at the same place. See below.

Neil, I don't know if you have ever been to a store like this or not. If it's available, they most likely will have it. They have 320+ retail tanks plus a 2000 gallon display tank sadly with Africans at this writing. They also have another 800+ tanks downstairs in the wholesale dept. They have 2 vans that deliver as far east as Syracuse, NY and Cleveland, OH to the east. They even deliver to Ontario, Can. once a week. I've known this guy since he was just an employee about 20 years ago in a store that he now sells wholesale to. I forget which one, but the Mendezi came from a wholesaler in Florida. I've taken everybody from Wayne Leibel, Lee Finley, Mike Schadle and most of the other speakers there and Lee saw catfish he didn't even know were in the hobby yet at that time. Get near Niagara Falls and you will see for yourself. No other pets here!

Z Man

5 Year Member
I have to mention this store today because I called there on a different matter. (Our meeting is tonight.) They told me they just got in A. ataualpa, A. panduro & A. norberti. Yes they do keep me informed and they get this type of stuff in all the time.

Rikard

5 Year Member
Ha Ha Ha(huff puff) this one`s easy ap, elizabethae!
And thats simply because it is the most beatiful apisto i have ever seen, and one of the rarest........... :lol:

jvr

5 Year Member
Z mans Store

Hi Z man,

This store would it be on Robinson Road by any chance ?

Thanks

John

Randall

5 Year Member
Dwarf Cichlid Selection

Dear Rikard,

Given your original inquiry, the choices here are inumberable! I expect, given your choice of venacular, that your question is hypothetical.

Why don't you just pick a species or two that you like, and if asked why you chose said species, simply reply, to successfully breed them?

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Bujurquina vitatta... an absolutely amazing fish (IMO). I had a pair that spawned for me frequently. I noted at least three different breeding strategies. They are pretty, docile, do not harm plants and can be maintained at a reasonable size.

I like 'em....

Z Man

5 Year Member
jvr, Yes, the store is on Robinson St in North Tonawanda, NY about 15 minutes from Niagara Falls, NY. He will bring in any fish that any customer is looking for. Spent the weekend with him in Cleveland and he knows his stuff. Check 'Lotsoffish' on Aquabid.

apisto85

5 Year Member
really

This one is really hard. i just got some trifasciata so thats not number one anymore. :roll:

I would want A.atahualpa(the blue form) or luelingi becourse i have been trying to get my hands on thows for years.. they are really beautiful fish..... well thats pretty much it... i just want them :lol:

Orchid

5 Year Member
This is a hard one to answer. I would have to say a malbruter, any fish atypical of its species is a fascination to me.

But why is this only limited to S.A. Dwarves? Before you say, "Because I said..." I would have to say that if I could have any dwarf, then it would be a P. taeniatus 'Keinke Gold'. I will never acheive true happiness in life until I own a pair of this goreous fish. It haunts my dreams....If is half as beautifull as the online picture of it, then I must have one. I must have one for my sanity! :lol:

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would put some A. agassizi the blue form in there just because they are the most widespread apisto and the most representative fish of the Genus>

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Well, I can cross one more 'Want it really bad' fish off the list...

http://www.roundtownaquatics.com/images/MVC-021F.JPG

Nannacara adoketa! Only took me 3 years to track them down...If only I'd have ran into Apistodave 3 years ago...

Now to get these guys set up and spawning and see what I can do about making them a little more available to the hobby. My list is finally getting shorter. Down to a few South Americans. My West African list seems to get additions every couple weeks.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….