• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keyhole spawning ? and other dwarf ?'s

Thor

Hey Folks~
In my new(ish) 90 gallon SA community tank, my 2" Cleithracara have spawned for the second time in the month and a half that I've had them. The first spawn was not viable and only lasted a day before the female eliminated the eggs. Not surprising given their size and guessing this might have been their first spawn. Now, I have fry at the wriggler stage, being heavily guarded by the female with the male on watch. Since hatching 3 days ago, she has moved them to several different pits she has dug in the sand between rocks and plant roots.....she's good! My simple question is, how soon should I expect them to be free swimming so I can start adding baby Artemia?

This aquarium is heavily planted with lots of branches and rocks, thus, many nooks and crannies for hiding. I have soft, acidic spring water (pH 6.6) and the other parameters for are good for SA fish. In this 90 gal. I have 3 Cleithracara, 10 Hyphessobrycon sweglesi, 6 H. HY-511, 5 Corydoras leucomelas and 4-6 Common Otocinclus. I will be adding a school of Nannostomus unifasciatus. Looking to add either 5 Apisto. bitaeniata or 5 Dicrossus filamentosus......or maybe both? I was hoping to find some Laetacara curviceps, but haven't seen any available. Which dwarfs would you recommend and why?

Last question! Which Laetacara species grows bigger, curviceps or dorsigera? I have kept curviceps years ago, so I know their average adult size, but the literature online has not been exactly consistent in their sizing. Fishbase is great, but lists max. standard length sizes for those specimens collected in the field, not average aquarium inhabitants.

Many thanks in advance for any help in expanding my knowledge base! ~~Thor~~

Thor

Well, to answer my first question, all I had to do was look in the aquarium this morning to find that the female has moved the fry to yet another pit in the back corner. The fry are now very active and free-swimming after approximately 4 days and it looks like I can begin piping Artemia nauplii into the general area. The male is keeping up his duties as first line of defense.

Does anyone want to weigh in on the choice between A. bitaeniata and D. filamentosus (or both) and help me spend some money? Haha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….