• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another LFS Save

Crazygar

5 Year Member
As usual, I just can't pass up on Apisto's in peril. I was wandering around the Dealers tanks last month and low and behold, amongst a group of Kribs and Bolivan Rams were these two Apistos. Fast forward to this afternoon. I went down and they were there. The owner, realized that I showed so much interest in them and no one has purchased them, he hold me the both of them for $10.

Now, of course, I have a problem. I do believe I have either A.geisleri (which is the strong contender), A.rotpunkt or A.eunotous. My educated (somewhat) is that its A.geisleri. It has a similiar body shape as A.borelli, but larger, and less colourful. Here is a pic of the fish in question; (I did some enhancement to remove the blur)

Apisto.jpg

Both have the "metallic" blue/red sheen on their faces. One has way more than the other.

Gary

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is a resticulosa-complex species; either A. taeniata or A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-spots (which don't always show them). Photos that show either abdominal markings or vertical bars would be helpful for precise identification. I'm not surprised that you would ID them as A. geisleri because many photos identified in books as A. geisleri are actually A. taeniata.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I'll try and get a "clip" and post it on YouTube. They are really interesting fish. One when stressed, loses all colour and the face colours (Red/Blue) really intensify while the other goes darker with visable vertical bands going down the entire fish.

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I still think for some reason A.caetei. Here is a "snipplet" of pics I managed to fire off. These are of both fish which are the same species. One usually exhibits more colouration and behaviour than the other. But they are definately both Males.

Apisto1.jpg

I will post the YouTube link when the video becomes available. Its not the greatest but it gives you an idea on the fish!

Gary

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They show a lateral band that ends before touching Bar 7 on the caudal peduncle. This leads me to believe that they are A. sp. Wangenflecken/Cheek-spots.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike.

They came in with Bolivan Rams and German Blue Rams. They sat in the tank a month and no one even noticed them in there. Even the staff at the LFS had no idea they were in there. Hence when the deal was offered, I grabbed at it.

So I assume that finding a females for these lovely gents is going to be darn near impossible. I've also noticed not too much info on these!

Gary

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wangenflecken is much more common in Europe, but they do arrive a few times a year in North America. They are often mis-identified and sold under other names.

strohl71

5 Year Member
Crazy Gar -

Just out of curiousity, which LFS did you save these 2 fish from? As I recall, you do a lot of your LFS shopping in the Detroit area.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Wangenflecken it is. The next thing is to find possible mates and maybe a small breeding program. I have a friend whom his entire garage is an Apistogramma breeding factory. He's always looking for new fish to breed.

Stroh, believe it or not, it was at the SuperPet on Dougall Road. From time to time I go in and help them ID certain fish. The jury was out with these two. In fact, most of the staff had no idea they were in the tank.

Chances of them arriving again is unlikely (if I found them again there, Females at that, I'd run out and play the lottery) so this is why I am wondering about anyone that has them in North America.

Weird that Europe has them and yet we are closer to South America. Is it that we are stuck on the more "flashier" of Apistos?

Gary

fish fodder

5 Year Member
probably because apistos are big in germany!

i have a male and did have 2 females, he killed them both within a week. i was sold mine as blue apistos which isnt very comprehensive.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Either way, thanks for everyone's help on trying to ID these guys. Could I ask for anyone reading this thread to keep their ears open for similiar females?

Gary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….