• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

amano shrimps in apisto tank

skwelch

5 Year Member
ok, just wanted peoples advice on wether its viable to keep amano shrimp (c.japonica) in with pairs of apistogrammas
currently i only have one apisto tank up and running, with a pair of stunning agasizzi in it and nothing else just lots of plants, but for some reason im getting a little bit too much algea growing for my liking
just wondered on two points really, will the shrimp live happily in soft acidic water, i use a mix of RO and hard tap water, just to keep the water slightly acidic and fairly soft, will the lack of calcium in the water mean the shrimp slowly die off??
and the second point is, will the shrimp pose any threat to cichlid eggs or fry if my pair ever decide to spawn????

thanks in advance
greg

farm41

5 Year Member
I've never had a problem with amanos in my apisto tanks, they are necessary in all my planted tanks. Just make sure you leave the shedded shins in there when they molt, if they are low on calcium, they will eat it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….