• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggro Male

Kyle1234

Hey guys,
at the start of the week i bought 2 new female apistogramma cacatuoides for my male, the females are both really nice healthy apistos and are still adapting to the tank, but my male seems to be alittle on and off with them. One minute he is dancing, flaring and showing off to his new girls but then the next he is slowly stalking, attacking and chasing them. Is this normal behaviour????
Cheers Kyle

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, quite normal. In the wild apisto males claim a territory and allow females to enter it and establish their own breeding territories within his. If, however, the females are not ready to breed immediately the male will drive them out of his territory (most if not all of the tank in your case) and wait for a willing female to enter. Your best bet is to remove the male temporarily, re-arrange the decor a bit, allow the females to establish breeding territories, and then re-introduce the male. Now the females have territories and the male does not. He will eventually establish his dominance but should accept the females' territories. Just make sure that the male is able to leave the females' territories when they breed. Otherwise there could be trouble. Establishing visible territorial boundaries is important in decorating a breeding tank.

Kyle1234

Hey,
Thanks for the advise I will definitely try that the females are alittle younger than him so like you said still need to establish there breeding territory
Cheers Kyle

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Another trick I've used is to mix-up the locations where I am putting food into the tank. One day, I'll do the left side, another, the middle, and the next, the right, etc. This seems to help the dominant fish setting up their territory where the majority of the food is being fed.

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Is there any suggested time frame for removing before reintroduction to breeding tank or is it best taken on the females behaviour?

Kyle1234

Up date,
since the girls have settled in the aggression has slightly declined but the boy (<------my avatar)still seems to chase the triple red female???? but as of a couple of days ago he has paired up with the super orange female and had there first spawn :)
still hoping he can make ends meet with the other girl
cheers kyle

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Brisvegas or elsewhere in up there? (I'm in Tas but started my fish dwarf addiction in brissie)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….