• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizii? Sex and ID please

LeeHook

5 Year Member
Can you please help me to ID apistogramma? They told me that they are agassizii. They are 6 months old. Are there any signs that help to ID sex?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It is either "Steel-Blue" or similar ("Wagenflecken"). They are often sold as borelli or agassizii etc.

They look like males. The females have a black edge to the ventral fin, and much less blue on the bosy. Have a look at this (and linked thread) <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/apisto-id.17370/>

Behaviour might help, the males are pretty aggressive to one another.

cheers Darrel

regani

5 Year Member
I agree that they are not agassizii but I am not sure what they are exactly. My guess for the sexes would be photo 1 male, 2 female, 3 not sure, 4 male...

LeeHook

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your reply. I hope that there is at least one female. I got 7 fishes and the most of them look like males. That must be happened because, as I know from the previous owner, they breed in high temperature (28 C)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are probably A. sp. Wangenflecken. I would need to see a photo that shows the vertical bars on the flanks to be certain. Females have very dark anterior spines on the ventral fins. I don't see this in any of the photos. Females also don't show any red on the face. At 28°C/82°F, 90% of the offspring should be males.

LeeHook

5 Year Member
Well these are the best photos I could take.

I noticed that the younger fish (2 of 7 total) show their vertical stripes sometimes. The older fish never. Only the horizontal line is visible and it fades in and fades out very often. Many times are totally pale.
As I assume that this must be a body language but I don't understand apisto language :)

I don't know if the water parameters has to do with this. Water parameters are:
Ph=6.3
KH=0,5-1 (100% RO water)
GH=8 (I put some discus mineral salts)
Tank=70Lt

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The fish to the rear in the second photo looks like a female, you can see the dark edge to the ventral fin Mike mentioned.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are A. sp. Wangenflecken. The bowed/arced vertical bars are a diagnostic feature for this resticulosa-complex species. It occurs on the Ilha de Marajó, the large island at the mouth of the Amazon. It is a whitewater species and an excellent 'beginner's apisto'. I have a group in a mostly barren (decoration-wise) 20 gallon long tank and still get production. I must have juveniles/fry of 2 or more different sizes in it right now. Anyone who has seen my breeding apisto program has seen my 'cesspool breeding tank' photo. The species in it is Wangenflecken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….