• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Activated carbon and peat...

arjay

5 Year Member
I have read that peat should not be used in a filter with activated carbon because the carbon will nullify some of the peat's properties. Does this mean that the carbon will also lessen peat's ability to reduce pH and soften water?
Thanks in advance,
Russell.

fishgeek

i believe that the carbon removes some of the organic acid's and products that peat release's into the water
hence the black water extract type effect of peat is reduced

peat also acts as an ion exchnage resin though so it will to some small degree lessen the kH of your water and facilitate a slihtly lower pH in this fashion

i have never used carbon in any filter in my 5 yrs of fish keeping except for waht came in my first filter purchase
i dont personally believe it has any real use
increased water changes will remove all the things that carbon does and has the added benefit of never leaking those things back into the tank water

andrew

arjay

5 Year Member
Thanks Andrew.
I never used carbon in any of my tanks either in 10 years of fish keeping until a friend recently convinced me that I should... Never had a problem before so I'm no longer seeing the point of using it either.
Do you know of any other functions peat performs other than pH and GH reduction?
~Russell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….