• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Cacs not eating??

J

JRegs

Hi all, this is my first post here. I recently aquired a beautiful pair of triple red cac's at a club auction. They've been in my tank (55gal, densely planted, driftwood, pH 6.8, 3 dkh) about two weeks and I swear I haven't seen them eat yet. They usually hide anytime I get near the tank to feed. The food is usually gobbled up by the other occupants ( 5 lemon tetras, trio of endler's, 5 glowlights) by the time it might fall near where they hide. I feed, depending on the day, flake, sinking pellet, or frozen bloodworms. Anyone see anything wrong? What signs would I see that should cause me to worry. When I do see them (from afar), they act pretty normal.
Thanks,
John

Apistt_ed

Hello john,

Many times because they are newly introduced into your tank they can be a little shy and won't eat. I would suggest live brine shrimp. I haven't seen any apistos that can refuse brine shrimp or even bbs (baby brine shrimp). I would feed flakes to keep the tetras busy and introduce the brine away from flakes. They'll at least pick it up while roaming the tank. good luck.

litesky

5 Year Member
It's been two weeks already huh? That is kind of strange and odd. However, to live two weeks without eating is also pretty strange too. Are you sure they aren't eating any shrimps that you might have? My triple red cac is loving my frozen blood worms, but I did hear before that they'd prefer them live. Do get some brine shrimp. That never hurts, but while you do that, ask your local lfs if you can grab a few live blood worms. Test them out.

Also, examine where the tank is, because (it's possible) that sudden movements made by human beings are scaring these guys away, causing them to stress and not eat. Let me know how it goes.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….