• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. borelli?

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Hi all
This was picked up by a friend from a LFS as A. borelli....is that what you thing it is?

image001.jpg

Thanks and regards
Mike Miller

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nope, not A. borellii. It's the infamouse Apisto. sp. "steel blue". It's a very attractive fish of unknown origins. Must likely a creation of a few different Apistogramma spp. bred together, but there is plenty of debate on the subject!

The heavy patterning on the head, the very large and tall caudel (base of tail) spot, the intense blue color, and the relatively short dorsal fin are all clues that the fish is not A. borellii but A. sp. "steel blue"

Here's an old shot of my dominant A. borellii for comparision:

Apisto-7.jpg

It's VERY common to see A. sp. "steel blue" sold as A. borellii. I see it all the time in the lfs by me. The wholesalers get the fish in as A. borellii and pass on the name to the stores and most of the people along the way don't know the difference so the name sticks.

Jeff

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Besides, A. borelli have a transparent caudal fin with no marks at all; the A. sp. "blue steel" does have marks in the caudal fin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….