• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a. borelli paraguay

aspen

5 Year Member
i have a trio of these in a 20 gal tall (with 2 twig cats and a whiptail cat), and was wondering if i was doing something wrong. the females don't seem to be growing much. just when i figured the females were not doing well, the one is now guarding eggs, and the other is being persuaded to do the same by the male. they are in my tapwater (gh 8, kh 4, ph 7.8) at the moment, at 75 deg, and was wondering what the recomended water parms are for these fish to breed at.

btw, none of their tankmates seem at all interested in their eggs, one of the twigs was sleeping on the clay pot, with no worries from the female. she IS chasing the other 2 borelli's away though.

rick

Neil

aspen,
These are likely to hatch in your current water, but it is not ideal for them. A pH of 7.8 is really not ideal for any apisto.
They are a small species. I don't know how large your females are right now, but they won't get nearly as large as some of the other apistos you have worked with. Females can lay viable eggs at a very small size.
Watch those tankmates!!
Neil

kribs

5 Year Member
I agree with neil. Also the borelli females are half or even smaller sizw then a male. i had some that spawned when they were smaller than half inch.

aspen

5 Year Member
neil, are you saying that either of these other species will predate eggs or fry? i haven't seen any evidence, and the female tolerates them all quite well. she can be quite agressive with the other borelli's but hasn't bothered at all with these other fish in my presence.

are they either egg or fry eaters? or are you worried about a disease factor?

rick

Neil

I doubt that they would be much of a problem for fry, but I wouldn't be suprised if they would be a danger to the eggs. However, I don't know that for a fact. I just think that you should be aware of the possibility.
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
at the small size they are at, they have not touched the eggs as of yet. but i will watch for that. the female is quite relaxed around them. i leave a night light on for all fish with fry or eggs. that may have something to do with it, though. i wouldn't want to leave any nocturnal fish in a tank with fry or eggs, in the dark. i would thing it would be game over pretty quick. also, i feed these guys pretty good. they seem to love discus pellets i don't feed to discus. i put a bunch in at night, and they are all gone by morning. it IS definately them eating them though.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….