• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Borelli fry, should I remove it?

luisramos126

One of my A. Borelli hatched 3 days ago, still in the fase not free swimmers. I want to know when I should remove the fries only or removed the female. I have one male and three females.
Thanks guys for your help.

anewbie

Even after Mom stops caring for them they will likely be fine in the aquarium as long as the aquarium is large enough to support the bioload. Once they become sexually mature they will likely have to be removed unless the auqairum is quite large. So you could have 4 to 6 months before they have to be removed - but it would depend on tank size and numbers of course.

MacZ

Even after Mom stops caring for them they will likely be fine in the aquarium as long as the aquarium is large enough to support the bioload. Once they become sexually mature they will likely have to be removed unless the auqairum is quite large. So you could have 4 to 6 months before they have to be removed - but it would depend on tank size and numbers of course.
Not to forget: Preferred size for sale is 4cm. ;)

luisramos126

If you want the fry (I suppose you know where to take them once they reach size) and thus as many survivors as possible, leave them with the mother until she stops caring.
I hove the four adults in my "Rio Ucayali Biotope" Tank dimensions are 36" L x 24" W x 18" H. The first time one female have them with her for 4 days after they are free swimmers, then the fry just disappears, I assume they just eat it. Now, I don't want to happens the same. I have a 3gallon tank where I can transfer or I need to buy a breeding box to put the mother and fry inside the tank.

My experience in breeding aristo is 0, I just want to have a successful breeding with this one. I know there is another female ready for spawn soon, the male was doing the courtship swim.

So, I should move the female with fry to rather a breeding box or the 3 gal tank with a sponge filter.

MacZ

So, I should move the female with fry to rather a breeding box or the 3 gal tank with a sponge filter.
oh please no. In a breeder box she will eat them. Rather the 10 Liter, which I think is too small to grow out fry.

Do you know where to give the fry if they survive? Because they likely cannot stay.

luisramos126

oh please no. In a breeder box she will eat them. Rather the 10 Liter, which I think is too small to grow out fry.

Do you know where to give the fry if they survive? Because they likely cannot stay.
I have one 10gl (37L) and 20gl (75L) where I can transfers a soon they grow.

MacZ

All a little on the small end. :/
And once they mature? And what about further fry?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Really we need more information. Are there other fish in the aquarium? Based on your description that it is a biotope tank, I imagine that there are. So what other fish and how many are in the tank? How is the tank decorated/laid out? What do you plan to feed the fry? and how often?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….