• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a baenschi "inka"

scott

5 Year Member
i am in the process of writing in my journal about my experiences with this fish. i am having trouble finding info (in english) on these fish. i.e. where it occurs in the wild, first collected, etc.anyone that has this info or can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

cageman

5 Year Member
occurs in peru in the little river shanusi.
found by a janpanese man Masatoshi Kuratsu in I think is is 2002.
black water white sand bottom with leaves.
want more?

scott

5 Year Member
thanks alot. i try to include as much info in my journal as possible so anthying at all that might be interesting would be great.

cageman

5 Year Member
very agrassive but this is commonly known.
a lot of sites say adults are, male 6 cm and female 4,5 cm. but last year I was in Berlin and also visited the zoo where I found the specie. at that time they were at least 8 or 9 cm. and the female aprox. 6 cm.

from what I have been reading they are quite easy to breed, and can lay up to 100 eggs at a time.

watervalues: ph around 6,5, gh 2-10 but I personally think 10 is a bit high.
cunductivity/microsiemens 15µ up till 70µ
max. age is about three years which I personally think is a bit young. but it can explain the high number of eggs.

it is one of my favorite apistos I really fell in love with it the first time I saw it!
not so nice is that it is so agressive, but we'll take that for granted.

scott

5 Year Member
they are one of my favorites as well. it's funny how there can be such a difference in behavior within the same species. i say this because, as you said it is commonly know that these fish can be very aggressive but the 2 pairs i have now are no more aggressive than my borelli's. again thank you for your replies

blueblue

5 Year Member
The fish is known as "Inka 50".
According to a chinese aquarium magazine (which translates materials from
the Japanese), the "50" came from the fact that
the fish was found in the 50th trip of that japanese team. "Inka"
was adopted because the location of discovery was close to the classic "Inka area" in Peru.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….