• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

120G Tank stock

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Hi Everybody,

I'm searching for a good and balanced stock for a 120G tank (120x65x60cm).
My idea is to create a natural look in the tank by only using oak, beech and almond/catappa leaves together with some pieces of wood and little branches to create a Blackwater biotope.

Now for this tank I'm still thinking of what kind of dwarfcichlid I want to keep.
I have a weak for Apistogramma's, but also for dwarf Crenicichla's. Now I know that Dwarf Crenicichla's are difficult to keep because of their behaviour. I also know that it is difficult to keep other fish next to them, because Crenicichla's might see them as potential food.

What would you guys do? Keep a small group of Apistogramma sp. in this tank together with Nannostomus sp., or Dwarf Crenicichla?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Which do you most prefer? In the wild, dwarf pikes are a prime apisto fry predators. Male apistos often spar with these small pikes when they enter the male apisto's territory. Adult apistos are too large for dwarf pikes to actually eat. Still, this is not what I would consider the ideal community.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the explanation Mike.
What I actually mean was Apistogramma sp. with Nannostomus sp. or just alone Dwarf Crenicichla. My fault because I didn't wrote it correctly.

Mike, what do you think of a combination Dwarf Crenicichla and Discus? This is for my new tank 200x60x60cm (the 1.60m tank is for sale). The Pterophyllum I have are going to an other tank and owner. So this makes it possible to keep Discus again. I'm busy with looking for a group of Royal Blue discus. Will this combination work?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the explanation Mike.
What I actually mean was Apistogramma sp. with Nannostomus sp. or just alone Dwarf Crenicichla. My fault because I didn't wrote it correctly.

This is your choice. Both options should work.

Mike, what do you think of a combination Dwarf Crenicichla and Discus? This is for my new tank 200x60x60cm (the 1.60m tank is for sale). The Pterophyllum I have are going to an other tank and owner. So this makes it possible to keep Discus again. I'm busy with looking for a group of Royal Blue discus. Will this combination work?

I know people who keep such a community. Just remember that the dwarf pikes are fry predators and much faster than Discus parents.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….