• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Cacatuoides set up help

central tanks

So I'm thinking of making a cacatuoides breeding tank. I was thinking a 15 gallon medium-highly planted. Drift wood and rock stacks and maybe some caves. My question is what kind of stock can i go with? Would a pair or a trio be better fitted for this size tank. Id also like dither fish. Maybe some tommy nose tetras.
I know the tetras may prey on fry, but i feel having fish to guard the fry from may better the parents pertectivness. Also a little bit of natural selection isn't the worst thing. My water is out of facet 7.2 ph just slightly on the soft side.
Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated

ErtyJr

Unless you plan on removing the male after the eggs have been fertilized, I recommend keeping only a pair in that tank.

As far as using rummy nose as target/dither fish, it is not a bad idea but there are many fish better suited for the job that are less likely to predate on fry. The 2 I use for my cacatuoides are celestial pearl danios and hatchetfish. The cpd's mouths are very small, and the fry quickly become to large for them, and the hatchets rarely leave the top, where as the fry rarely leave the bottom.

But rummy nose should be fine if that's your preference, I would just be careful because no matter how attentive the mother, a large group of rummy nose will over run her if they are determined enough, and you can end up with no babies.

abrooks12376

I would stick to a pair in anything less than a 20 long. If you want to successfully rear fry for sale than a species only tank would be my suggestion. Tetras are fry snipers. Rummy nose will stress the female our big time. They work like a wolf pack. Even my embers are ruthless little hunters. You could do hatchet fish or pencil fish most likely but just the pair would be best.

central tanks

Never even heard of the pearl danios. They look pretty cool. Do they school together tightly?
ill go with a pair, pencil fish are expensive here in Texas and almost all wild caught.

ErtyJr

Never even heard of the pearl danios. They look pretty cool. Do they school together tightly?
ill go with a pair, pencil fish are expensive here in Texas and almost all wild caught.
Sadly no, they school quite loosely. I have a "school" of about 13. 1 of them prefers to be all alone. The rest kind of just wander the upper middle of the tank. They only school tightly during wc's

central tanks

Okay as far as getting them to pair should I start with three juveniles until they pair up. Then remove the extra. Or should they pair up with just putting two in.

viejo

5 Year Member
Erty is referring to the celestial pearl danio - Danio margaritatus as opposed to the fish called pearl danio - brachyanio albolineatus. Never actually tried it but the latter would most likely be a 'hellacious' fry predator.

ErtyJr

Erty is referring to the celestial pearl danio - Danio margaritatus as opposed to the fish called pearl danio - brachyanio albolineatus. Never actually tried it but the latter would most likely be a 'hellacious' fry predator.

You're exactly right and thank you for clarifying for me. I hadn't even considered the fact he said pearl danios when I said celestial pearl danio. Good catch.

He is right I use Danio margaritatus, and I would most certainly not recommend the use of Danio albolineatus(pearl danio). I have never used them but I'm going to agree they would likely be very skilled fry predators.

As for pairing, if you are getting unsexable juvies get 6, and remove the excess once you have a pair.

If you have access to a reputable breeder who can sell you a pair, then you can buy a pair and they should ready pair up. A. cacatuoides pairs easily, but not all apistogramma do so please research each species thoroughly first! (If your interested I breed and sell A. cacatuoides feel free to pm me for more info.)

central tanks

Unfortinitly your located in philli and would rather not go threw having them shipped. especially with the colder weather. Ill look into the celestial pearl danio. That or i might go with nanastromus bekfordi. pencil fish i believe is there common name.
I will go with the 4-5 juveniles and sell off the others after a pair forms. Or ill look for a local breeder.

mematrix

5 Year Member
You Can Try the fish place off I 30 and green oakes BLVD in ft worth behind mall in strip mall Dallas North Aquarium/ Texas Aquatics/ Rift to reef in flower mound/ Fish Gallery off central expressway dallas those are the most likely LFSs with Apistos and pencilfish I live in Alvarado if you want to take a trip go to austin to Aquatek the always have apistos

papasmurf

5 Year Member
Aquatek has been a bit down on stock lately....I was there a few weeks ago and most of what they had was just a few leftovers of various species with most of them being females. They had some "oregon", and panduro's, and paulmuelleri I believe but that was about it as far as quantity. Texas Aquatics had a really large tank of triple red cac's, with some smaller tanks of bitaeniata, and at least one other species. It is the cheapest I have seen for apisto's in the DFW area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….