• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish collected in the village of itapeaçu ID thread

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Here is the official identification thread for the fish i caught in the amazon river!
Pertensis type fish...
Cpia2deP4260091.jpg

CpiadeP4160008.jpg

CpiadeP4160009.jpg

CpiadeP4260092.jpg

CpiadeP4260089.jpg

Agassizi type fish
CpiadeP4160012.jpg

CpiadeP4160555.jpg

Agassizii?
CpiadeP4180133-1.jpg

CpiadeP4260078.jpg

CpiadeP4260084.jpg

Unidentified type fish
CpiadeP4180059-1.jpg

And this eunotus (?) type fish
CpiadeP4160522.jpg

CpiadeP4160556-1.jpg

And this non apisto mystery fish...
CpiadeP4160011.jpg

Hudson

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well you've got a male agasizzi there but that's all the help I can be! If I had to guess I'd say the last one was some kind of Nannacara but that's simply because it looks a bit like a male N.anomala to me.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, here are my guesses:

The 1st fish looks like A. cf. pertensis
The 2nd fish appears to be A. cf. agassizii (Net/Netz)
The 3rd ("unidentified type fish") looks like A. cacatuoides! Yes A. cacatuoides is known to occur this far down the Amazon. I'd like to see a better photo of the fish. There is a faint possibility that it might be A. saltpinction.
The photo of the 4th ("eunotus (?) type fish") is not good enough to say what it is. It might be a population of A. taeniata/resticulosa, or ... ?
The photo with the pike in it looks a lot like A. geisleri, but I can't be certain from the photo.
The last photo looks like some kind of cichlasomine, possibly Laetacara thayeri?? I really can't say for sure from this photo.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
1 man, now i have store bought cf. pertensis and wildcaught cf. pertensis, so annoying!
2 cf. agassizii are awesome!
3 Cacautuoides? who would have thought!!!
5 Yes that is a terrible picture, isnt it?
6 and i thought this was the same as the above? Oh, and i dont see a pike cichlid!
Thanks, i thought it may have been a laetecara.
Thanks Mike wise and ed seeley
Mike wise, i hope this will be the last time i only have pictures of fish in hands or bags, in the united states i will buy plastic boxes like Tom C's!

electric eel

5 Year Member
you can order the plastic containers from ken's fish(i think thats the correct name Hudson i will look on the order form) they are handy for holding fish that you are catching from an aquarium to bag also.i bought several large ones at the last ohio cichlid association extravaganza.they make bagging fish a lot easier.Ken also has about any food or fishroom supply you could ever want(or will get it for you)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The plastic specimen boxes that Tom and I used in our trip to Peru were bought at my local fish store here in the US. They won't be hard to find. The only drawbacks are that they scratch and crack fairly easily. Of the 2 I brought for the trip, 1 was thrown away when it cracked badly, but I now use the other in my fish room. I kept it rapped in bubble plastic when not in use.

electric eel

5 Year Member
he does have a web site Hudson.i think it's www.kensfish.com but not sure.Mike is right also but i don't see them in the lfs's around here.they(if we are thinking about the same thing.the ones you can hang on a tank) are handy if say you have a tank with 50 fish in it and you want to sort 5 pairs out of the bunch.you don't have to try to hold a bag and catch them and put them into the bag one by one.you can look at the fish also before you bag them to make sure you did'nt get one that was too small or not the right sex etc before you bag.the way ken bags his food is awesome too.i used to buy kilo's(from another scource)and always ended up with a lot of it crumbled up.he packages in 1/2 pound vacum sealed bags so you just open them as you need it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistogramma cf. pertensis? i cant find anything on them!!!

See Koslowski's books (1986 & 2002), Staeck 2003. It was originally discussed as A. meinkeni (bad ID) and A. cf. meinkeni, A. sp. Pimental, etc. The problem is that most web sites have no idea about the differences between A. pertensis and A. cf. pertensis. Therefore, everything is "A. pertensis". For these species, they aren't worth reading!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Again, the same reply. Most websites don't know an aggie from Peru from one from the Rio Tocantins. They are all the same to them. A. agassizii sensu lato (a fancy way of saying every population that is commonly considered the same species) appears to be a superspecies that has started speciating only recently. Koslowski (2002) goes into some detail about how to distinguish the different species/populations.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not yet that I know of. You can read posts on this forum that have information on them. Try the search engine under 'agassizii-complex', 'A. cf. agassizii', and specific population names.

Seriously, the internet is fine for most common species and commonly understood information on apistos, but if you want detailed information on the more obscure species and relationships between different species you will need to read some books and scientific papers. One of the sad things about the demise of the Apistogramma Study Group is that there is no place to publish these more specialized articles on apistos. These are generally too long for the average magazine and most magazines aren't interested in publishing long, specialized articles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….