• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help ID Apistos I caught near Leticia, Colombia

ktorg

Hi all,

I spent a few weeks in the field near Leticia, Colombia back in November 2021 for my dissertation research and we caught a few species of Apistogramma that I need help identifying if possible.
We'll be going back at the end of the month, so it would be good to have an ID if we catch them again, and to keep an eye out for more if they turn out to be undescribed...

#1: Caught in marginal vegetation in a small stream (La Arenosa) northwest of the Leticia airport. This is the largest specimen. There were many smaller ones here.
IMG_2666.jpg

#2: Caught together among the floating macrophytes in the Lago Yaguacaca lake system. Assumed to be a male and female. The presumed female seemed to be especially deep-bodied.
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg

#3: Caught further downstream in La Arenosa in deep leaf litter. I believe it is A. agassizii or at least a member of that species complex.
IMG_2691.jpg
IMG_2690.jpg

#4: I believe same species as above, just caught in different stream.
IMG_0729.jpg

I apologize in advance knowing that most of these photos aren't the best for ID'ing. Our group wasn't focused on Apistogramma, but I would always try to snap a quick picture when I caught one. They have always been a favorite of mine.

Thanks for your help!
-Kevin

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Hi Kevin, here's what I think:

1. A. cf. sp. Nadelstreifen or A. sp. aff. eunotus (Colombia) (where both forms may in fact be the same species).

2. Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis (since Leticia is very far away from the type locality, inserting a "cf." here, would probably be advisable too).

3. An agassizii-subcomplex species, probably A. cf. agassizii (Leticia) (I suppose that the pronounced black blotch on the caudal peduncle of the second specimen is just caused by stress).

4. This is a bitaeniata-complex species, probably A. cf. bitaeniata (Leticia).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The bottom photo is definitely Ap. pucallpaensis, but the top one? Prossibly A. agassizii. TomC and I collected the same area in 2008 and found the same species as did you (except Ap. pucallpaensis).

ktorg

Thank you both for your help.
If we catch any more apistos on our next trip I'll post them here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….