• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yes or No Borelli harem

Hooky

Sadly I recently lost my male Borelli that was part of a pair that were housed in a community tank. I am not sure if it was coincidence but I lost the male at the time the female was protecting some fry (female wasn’t overly aggressive and the male did tend to stay away from the area of the tank where the female was) and I subsequently lost the fry a day later. I assume the female had eaten the fry, but obviously I cannot be sure as there are other fish within the tank.

My LFS has managed to source some more Borelli from the same breeder over in Czech Rep, so my question is should I just replace the lost male or also add an additional female to make an herm? The tank is an 125ltr with some harlequin rasbora and some Betta falx.

I forgot to point out that I am not currently intending to breed the Borelli, but am aware that they are likely to attempt to breed.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your tank should be large enough for a trio. My question is why? This is obviously intended to be a community tank, not a breeding tank. If you decide to add a new male and female, just remember that this is a cichlid and a territorial fish. Your original apisto may now consider the bottom of the tank as her territory. It would be best to remove the established female, re-arrange the decor to alter old territorial boundaries and then add all of the apistos at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….