• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB Smallest Apisto

Aviant

Im looking for the smallest recorded apistogramma to try and breed. If any of you have some, I'd definitely like to buy.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The smallest know apisto is A. wapisana. Females are slightly larger than males and grow to about 1¾"/45mm total length (Neon Tetra size!). I know that they come in occasionally - about once every 5 years or so. This is probably because they are rather plain - no fancy fins or colors. The only thing they have going for them is the females being slightly larger than the males and the unusual breeding behavior (males initiate breeding instead of females). They are easy to breed. Mine spawned in the corner of a bare quarantine tank in tap water (neutral & moderately soft). Of regularly available apistos, I think A. borellii is the best option.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have photos of this species on the Cichlid Room Companion web site. They are from specimens I had in 1984. The species is also pictured in most of the more comprehensive dwarf cichlid books, too.

Aviant

Thank you guys, I would most definitely love to get a hold of A. Wapisana if anyone has it available. I've seen the one you mentioned and For some reason I have this fascination with very small fish. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of different Apisto's but right now my tank is fairly small and I'd like to get something that wont eat all my shrimp lol

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The small Dario species, like D. dario and D. hysginon are similar to very small cichlids in many ways, but smaller and more obtainable. I think even they may eat your shrimplets.

cheers Darrel

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have some Apistogramma cf. staecki from Brazil for sale. Only 5 or 6 left though. $20 each and I can try to sex them but it can be tough at their current size of 3/4".

Aviant

I currently have one Scarlet Badis in my 15gal tank, it was a gift from a friend. That one doesn't mess with my fire red shrimp. @DaRe , The main reason I want a small Apistogramma is because I like Cichlids but I have a very small tank and I'd like to keep a pair of extremely small ones to watch them grow and maybe even breed. I'm all new to this kind of Cichlid but Im already having fun just watching my male Blue Steel chase my Sparkling Gourami around the tank. I mainly like a fish that has a bit of aggression for it's small size. Much like the Pea Puffer or a Betta Fish. Very small but packs a punch.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here is one of the cf. staecki that I sent out already (not my picture but it's a great shot of the actual stock): http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/apistogramma-staecki.13529/

I honestly don't know how big these guys will get as this is the first time I've had them but from everyting I've read on them they are listed as a "small growing Apistogramma". Not very helpful I understand but I'm not going to make up an answer either! :)

Ttw

5 Year Member
Here is one of the cf. staecki that I sent out already (not my picture but it's a great shot of the actual stock): http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/apistogramma-staecki.13529/

I honestly don't know how big these guys will get as this is the first time I've had them but from everyting I've read on them they are listed as a "small growing Apistogramma". Not very helpful I understand but I'm not going to make up an answer either! :)
The A. staecki I had grew to only about 1.5" overall length.

Aviant

They look awesome! I realize that I should probably just get one or two female "Steel Blue"' Apisto's and see if I can breed them with my male. Whats the minimum size tank I can keep most apisto's in and they would actually breed in as well? Right now I have this baby Blue Steel in a 1.2gal tank with a sponge filter and some plants - I realize he cant live there for long, so I'd like to get some kind of tank thats very small that they can live normally in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….