• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who now has or has had these?

Scooter

5 Year Member
I'm looking for some first hand experience on any of these guys. Specifically, I'd like to get your impressions of these species summed up in a few sentences if possible. TIA.

Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi
Cynotilapia afra
Neolamprologus leleupi
Julidochromis ornatus
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Labidochromis sp."kimpuma Mbamba"

Sam

5 Year Member
Info

Yeah, I've got the nicholsi. I'm keeping an F0 trio of them in a thirty long with a pair of P. t. Lobe. The tank is fed on frozen blood worms, krill and "Tropical" flake, and occasional live food or pellet. They were rather emaciated when I bought them, but they are now in good condition. The Lobe have been seriously dominating the tank, so I am considering moving the nicholsi to a twenty high of their own or with danios. Unlike most Pseudocrenilabrus species, this one is from Zaire, so soft, PH 6.5 to 7.5 water would be good. Be sure to have at least two females per male. They will only show their best coloration if they feel very secure in their surroundings. Dark gravel/ backgrounds will help. Mine do not bother plants at all, and do very little digging. Hope this helps, Sam

Do NOT keep with rift lake cichlids!!!!!!!!!!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) I have kept all of those at one time or another. In my opinion, you are looking at three 'groups'. The P. nicholsi are on their own. PRetty easy ina wide range of water conditions. My biggest concern was the female breeding very young.

The Malawi group: Libidochromis (have not had the one you mention, but several others), Cynotilapia, and P. demasoni, are all nice small mbuna. I imagine that you could even keep them together. The afra are probably the most aggressive of that group.

The Tanganyikans: N. leleupi, J. ornatus. I do not suggest keeping them together if you are looking to breed. N. leleupi can be pretty tough on other leleupi also, so provide lots of hiding places. J. ornatus is easy once they pair off. I like to start with about 10 juviniles and 5 caves. I will move pairs that establish themselves to a 15 gallon of their own.

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
What size tank are you looking to stock Scooter?

While what tjudy is suggesting is true about lelupi for a 15 gallon, they can be easily housed with other fish in larger tanks.

Are you looking at getting these fish from Ulster's? I ask as you name Labidochromis kimpuna mbamba, which seems to be a classification he has derived, and isn't generally accepted. Anyway, lets get to the size tank you have and go from there.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
My observation of leleupi is that they can be especially rough on each other. I have seen more aggression between two male leleupi, or a male on a female leleupi, than from a leleupi on anothe species.

Scooter

5 Year Member
The species I've listed are just what I've identified as having initial interest in. I haven't kept any of them, but have read quite a bit about them from multiple sources. I'm not looking for recommendations but I am looking for feedback from some folks who have kept them or are currently keeping them. After I've assembled an adequate amount of first-hand information, I'll move forward.

Fogelhund, the Mbamba won't be coming from Ulsters. In fact, they won't be coming at all. I've eliminated them from contention. The tank in question is a 40 breeder, but I'll keep two species in there.

Thanks to all three of you for the information.

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
A 40 gallon is too small for the demasoni, or the mbamba IMHO.

If you want two types of mbuna in a tank that size, try any two of Ps. saulosi, Lab. caeruleus or Cynotilapia afra cobue.

You could keep a pair of Neolamprologus lelupi and a pair of Julidiochromis ornatus in the 40 gallon. Personally, I would get some Julidiochromis marleiri gombe instead of the ornatus though. They get to the same size as the ornatus, but provide a nicer contrast to the lelupi.

Do have plenty of rocks and caves for the subdominant fish to hide in. As Ted has noted, male lelupi do give quite a bit of attention to the others of their kind. You'll also do best getting six of each type at 1", and then letting them select their own mates, then either selling off the extras or returing them to the LFS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….