• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which filter?

arjay

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm looking at setting up a small Apisto tank (20gal) with perhaps 3 Ap. baenschii and am now trying to decide upon a filter. A HOB filter would be fine for three fish but I would like to breed them (with any luck), with the increased bio-load of the fry what sort of filter should I be looking at? I'm considering an Eheim 2213 or a Fluval 105, would these be overkill for a 20 gal tank? Should I just buy an Aquaclear HOB of the appropriate size? Thanks in advance for any help.
~Russell.

Fatts

5 Year Member
Russell,
I don't use any power filters in the tanks I use for breeding. IMHO that is just asking for fry to get chopped up!!! I use sponge filters in my 20s. I use 2 filters that are rated for 30 gal tanks. I have had no NH4 or NO2 issues.

If there is there anyone that uses power filters please speak up and correct me.

Here are the sponges that I use.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ge-_-Filters&ref=3969&subref=AA&N=2004+113424

arjay

5 Year Member
Hi Scott,
Thanks for that, I haven't tried my hand at deliberately breeding fish before and completely forgot that these are the preferred option for a lot of people. You probably saved me around AUD100...:)

By saying that you run two filters does that mean two per 20 gal tank?

Thanks again,
Russell.

fishgeek

i have fish breeding in tanks with power filters all the time
a power head can run a sponge rather than an airline, as long as it is not over powerful then you shouldn't loose fry

a sponge can be placed on a HOB inlet pipe to guard against fry ingress

i also have an internal filter that sometimes sucks in fry
female has a tendency to lead them right to beneath intake , i guess thats where food particles tend to accumulate

then i have a centralised system with overflows at the top as apsto's stay near bottom top overflow not a problem until they can swim better

horse's for course's
and i would agree a stronger current is likely to suck in intially free swimmers

andrew

Fatts

5 Year Member
Russell,
Yes I use two of those filters per 20L gal. In my standard 10 gal tanks I use one of those filters.

Andrew,
Your right, I did forget that I once tried a sponge on the intake of a HOB filter. That was a complete disaster. The female actually laid eggs on the intake just above the sponge. So I ended up with a lot of debris between the sponge and the intake (where the intake was not open to suck water). End result was bad water in the tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….