• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Apisto to Breed

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning All,

I have a further 2 - 20G tanks to my disposal and in my Community 150G tank I have Apisto Sp Schwarzkinn, Sp Erdfresser, Panduro, Macmasteri, Agazzi and Cacs. Which 2 do your think would be worth breeding ?
Any thoughts and thanks in advance ? Cheers JK :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The 2 easiest would be A. cacatuoides & A. agassizii. The two rarest in the hobby would be A. sp. Schwarzkinn & A. sp. Erdfresser (also the most difficult). Take your pick.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Jan

The first thing you need to do is figure out if the fish you produce will be marketable. Eartheater would be a huge accomplishment, but do you intend to keep the entire spawn or are you going to try and build a little credit at you're local fish shop. Aggies and Cacs sell themselves, its a shame some stores just wont deal in rare stuff. Its a problem I have here with Angels, apistos and rare loaches. Nobody wants to pay.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

In all honesty I just love th challange of breeding diffucult fish. My best accomplishment was the UARU so wanted to try out the apistos. I have good contacts with the 2 major LFS stores in SYD, but first I will think to try and breed the eartheater and black chin. That should be a challange on its own. I start my 2 100litre tanks next week and transfer them from my 100G to these tanks after 2weeks of cycling. I will keep all informed. I find that most apistos from Europe, after they arrive from Europe/Germany ae under a lot of stress and have a high death rate, so if I can breed these 2 semi rare species, them the LFS might be interessted in them. Anyway number one as stated if to observe these exquisite Apistos and see if I get success. I just love it.
cheers jk :cool:

Microman

5 Year Member
The majority who have recently had A sp "Erdfresser" in the UK found them to be a relatively easily bred species requiring no special water parameters. My pair bred in a small 9 UK gallon/18"-12"-12" tank in moderately soft water with a pH<6.
Mark...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….