• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When do you separate Mom & babies?

traco

5 Year Member
I have an Apisto cacatuoides Mom in with her babies. Pulled Dad this time as he was eating the babies in the last 2 spawns.

I have 30-40 fry and they are about a 1/4", eating bbs and growing so fast. They have been freeswimming for just over a week, week and a half.

When do I separate them from Mom? She is still looking like a good Mom, still bright yellow, chases the small pleco around. Does there come a time when she might eat the babies? With so many, I don't know if there have been any losses.

Put them in a bare bottom 5 gallon with a fully cycled sponge filter and heater or would a 20 gallon be better?

Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since you removed the male, the female will not think about spawning (& driving out or eating the present fry). Once the female has lost interest in brooding, or is unable to keep the fry in a tight school, it is time to separate the fry and the female.

traco

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike for always replying to my threads.:)

Tight school means they are not all spread out over the tank? Their formation is spreading already so I should think about separating them within the next week? And then when separating, the 5 gallon or 20 gallon would be better suited?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tight school means when some fry wander more than 10 - 15 cm/4 - 6" from the female or do no respond quickly to her "home" signal. The 5 gallon is a good start for growing out <50 fry as long as you do frequent water changes (at least every other day). This allows you to concentrate their food in a smaller area. Once they get ~4 cm long, or if the water gets dirty quickly, it is time to move them to the 20 gallon. I usually use 10 gallon tanks for starters - if I remove the fry from the breeding tank. It depends on the parents.

Roach

5 Year Member
I think every situation is different but what Mike says is a pretty good guide.
I've had my fry for 3 months and they are still in with mum with no losses.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Great news! If you want more babies (and have the room), put Mom back in with Dad. Sounds like she did a great job. Mine have yet to parent raise so I cna't help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think every situation is different but what Mike says is a pretty good guide. I've had my fry for 3 months and they are still in with mum with no losses.

You're right. Right now I have a group of A. cf. agassizii (Madeira) "Gold Agassizii" that have been with the parents for at least 7 months. I can see young males sexing out. Still dad tends to ignore them (in a 20 gal. Long!).

TankWatcher

5 Year Member
Hey Roach (AKA Robdog) & Mike, good to hear it can work leaving mum & dad with the fry, as I don't really have anywhere to move my fry or parents too. Good luck with your fry traco, I hope all goes well.:)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….