• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

whats in the names

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
Just wanted to run some names by you guys to see if you could steer
me in the right direction for ID

1. A.albertini
2. A.sunset/shushupe
3. A.papagallo
4 A.mortenthaler
5. A.huallaga

I have DATZ and CA 1+2 for reference if you can tell me if they are known names , old names or just another name for a certain fish .

If you had a choice which ones in order would you try ?

Thanks

DH247

5 Year Member
Well I know that there are Cac's called sunset's, but I'm pretty sure the Shushupe's are a colour variant Bitaeniata. But please don't quote me :wink:. I definitely no expert!

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Albertini > Apistogramma eunotus (I think it is one of the colour variants)
Sunset > Apistogramma atahualpa
Shushupe > Apistogramma bitaeniata 'Shushupe' (a specific colour variant/collecting location)
Papagallo > Apistogramma sp. Pebas
Mortenthaler > Apistogramma martini
Huallaga > Apistogramma baenschi (from the Rio Huallaga system).

Apart from the A. martini, they've all been in my fish house at 1 time or another. As to which to go for first, this is probably going to be determined more by what is available rather than which one to choose. I have a soft spot for the A. bitaeniata and A.baenschi style fish though.

Andrew

apisto-nut

5 Year Member
thanks , that's a little clearer

The place I can get these from also has number associated with parts of
river systems " catch location " , anyone seen this before and is there a
map that I can use to sort this out from ?

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

The majority of the South American lists I see have a river location detailed along with the specific fish. Maps are few and far between, but you could try this map of the Amazon Basin, not to forget as well that Band 2 of Die Buntbarsche Amerikas has maps against the various groups/complexes indicating distribution of the species (Mike Wise prepared and made available an english translation of the book, but you'll need the book for the maps and images).

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
ITB Publishing Ltd. of Vancouver, B. C. Canada makes some execellent maps. Those on a 1:4,000,000 scale usually are detailed enough to show most of the major rivers and the major tributaries. My favorite is the one that covers the entire Amazon Basin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….