• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What form of agassizii?

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hello there. i just bought this pair from my LFS and i cant figure out what morph of agassizii they are. any ideas?

apistomale.jpg

Apistofemale.jpg

sorry for the poor image quality. need to find my camera (cell phone cameras suck)

ampdaman

5 Year Member
better pics

ok here are some better pics

agassiziimalelookingatglass.jpg
male

Apistomaleflaredup.jpg
male flared up at reflection

agassiziifemale.jpg
female

any ideas on what morph? i really cant figure it out. if you cant see it, on the male, the tail is mostly a light maroon color with a black/blueish edge. i really hope to find out what species because they started courting and if i get babies it would be nice to know what kind. thanks in advance

-Aaron

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm sorry but the photos are too out-of-focus to identify the form/species. If they didn't come with a precise collecting locality, then one should not be used.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
If they didn't come with a precise collecting locality, then one should not be used.

Im sorry i didnt understand that part of the responce. unless it meant that if they didnt come with the name of the color morph then a color morph shouldnt be used

starforsaken

5 Year Member
I believe Mike Wise was trying to suggest, that when you purchased the fish, if they did not come listed as Apistogramma agassizii "location", then there is no point in trying to figure it out.
Mike Wise has also recently stated that A. agassizii is highly variable for its colour, within regions. So the colour of your fish can not acurately determine where it was collected from, only collection information from the retailer/wholesaler can give you a better idea.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
so i guess the region they r from doesnt matter.

It depends on your interests. If you want to sell them as A. agassizii, then it doesn't matter. If you are interested in keeping pure forms/species, then it is important.

Apistogramma agassizii, as it presently is understood, is a superspecies. A superspecies is a scientifically recognized species that has populations/forms that might be distinct species, or populations that are moving toward being separate species. They inhabit well delineated areas of distribution and show differences in shape, finnage, and markings that are sufficiently distinct to indicate that they may be distinct species. It depends on the ideas of the researcher if there is one or many species. At present I see in A. agassizii at least 5 different species:

A. agassizii (type) - lower parts of tributaries of the Rio Solimões & Peruvian Amazon
A. cf. agassizii Broad Black Caudal Seam - southern tributaries of the Amazon below the Rio Negro
A. cf. agassizii "Net" - northern tributaries of the Amazon below the Rio Negro
A. cf. agassizii "Purus" - middle Rio Purus
A. cf. agassizii "Pastel" - lower Rio Ucayali

This list does not include A. sp. Tefé, A. gephyra, A. cf. gephyra, A. sp. Blue-spangle/Blauspiegel & A. sp. Vitoria do Xingu which are all agassizii-like species that could be considered part of the A. agassizii superspecies. Nor does it include populations of the Broad Black Caudal Seam form that have distinct differences in caudal pattern & distribution.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
wow so if i really wanted to find out the exact habitat location of these guys then i would have to do alot of research. well if i get babies then i guess i will have to just sell them as agassizii lol. thanks for the reply

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….