• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What can you tell me about Coptodon bythobates?

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Picked up six F2 Coptodon bythobates at our local club's auction yesterday. After they spend some time in quarantine, I plan on setting up a 75 gallon for them. I am unable to find much information on them at all anywhere. I believe they were formerly in the genus of Tilapia?

Can anyone tell me a good setup situation for them in a 75, water conditions (the guy I got them from kept them in "hard, medium pH" water...not very specific), and what their diet consists of? How big do they get, temperment, tankmates, etc? How about dithers? Are they too aggressive for some good ole fashioned West African killis or barbs?

It's my understanding they are on the IUCN Redlist?

Thanks,
Brian

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
So that's the this that comes out of Lake Bermin in Cameroon right? A sister species to snyderae if I'm following the genus change correctly. Males get a blue/silver lower lip and females are much smaller and get a nice redish color when spawning. I've kept both species (hell of a time telling the two fish apart as size is the main distiguishing trait that seperates them...at least in wild fish). They will readily spawn in 7.6pH 300ppm water as they are NOT picky! Females are very good mothers and will easily destroy anything they feel is a threat to their young in a smaller tank. I've seen them, in someone elses tank, kept in a large Rift Lake display tank were the pair will take a 2' section of the aquarium and push out 6"+ mbuna and then raise a spawn of several hundred off spring. Think "convict of West Africa"! Pretty fish that are adaptable under aquarium conditions and will spawn easily is you have both sexes. Be ready for aggression in smaller tanks. I believe the only reason they make the IUCN list is because they are only found in one body of water. That always leads to a fish being threatened because of human development and impact.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
That's what I was told Jeff - Lake Bermin. I actually do not have my hands on these fish yet; there was a bag mix up, and my fish went to the VP of the club's cooler, and not mine...but once I get them to the house, I plan on taking some pictures. There was some discussion about what species they were exactly; but the general consensus is that they are the true bythobates. I wish freshwaterfishfan got on here more, because I believe they are out of his fish. Thanks for the intel, btw. Hopefully someone can chime in about what type of biotope they come from; I'd like to setup a 75 display tank for them.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Crator Lake with not a whole lot it in. Maybe the occation fallen tree and related debree and some rounded stones on occation. Not a lot of aquatic plant life. From what I've read the bathobates and snyderae are found in the shallow water or at least shallow for a crator lake...so near the edge.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I suggest lots of wood.... these fish can be aggressive. Once a pair forms they will breed you out of house and home!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Finally got these guys home and settled in. Problem is, I forgot to take pics of them BEFORE I put them in the display tank. They have really colored up nicely. Still awaiting positive identification if any of you can help.

I know these are POOR photos, but see what you can make of them.
DSCN7132.jpg

DSCN7141.jpg

DSCN7137.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….