• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

75 Gallon: Bolivian Ram/Tetras with Madagascan Rainbows?

679x

Sometime in the future I want to get a 75 gallon and keep a group of a cichlid species along with some other fish... At first I wanted Geophagus, but when I found out they were too big for a 75, I looked at Apistogramma and Bolivian rams. But then my family said they didn't want territorial/aggressive fish, but liked the Bolivian rams. I think they will be my final choice.

So, now I'm trying to find compatible tankmates for a group of Bolivian rams.

I know there are a bunch of threads out there on the Internet, but they're all for 20-40 gallons. I'm wondering what I can do in a 75 of typical 4-foot measurements.

I was looking at Madagascan rainbowfish, ember tetras, and snakeskin barbs.

My worries mostly lie with the Madagascan rainbows -- are they too big for the rest of the fish? Will they stress out the tetras/barbs/rams? I really like them and I think they would look amazing in a river-themed tank, but of course I want all my fish to thrive, and I don't want to see any harassment. One of the things I was looking for was a larger/longer schooling species that would still be peaceful, which would act as a sort of 'main feature' for the upper levels of the tank, considering the tank is relatively large and something like ember tetras are small. My research makes me think they would be a good fit, but I still have to be sure before I go ahead and try it.

Here are my questions:
1. Would Madagascan rainbowfish, ember tetras, snakeskin barbs and Bolivian rams all get along?
2. How many Bolivian rams could I get in this setup?
3. How many Madagascan rainbowfish could I get? If they don't go well in this setup, is there a similar species that can be the 'main feature' of the upper levels of the tank?
4. What would be ideal for temperature and pH in this setup? Ideally, I'd want the Bolivian rams to breed.

Thanks in advance.

679x

Looks like I can't edit the thread now...

I wanted to point out that I'd be looking at Bedotia madagascarensis, because apparently Bedotia geayi is also known as 'Madagascar rainbowfish' but, according to google searches, gets bigger than B. madagascarensis. I'd be getting the smaller of the two, which might help with compatibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….