• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What can I house with an anticipated group of A. trifasciata?

Hobbes1911

Hello everyone,

I have a 120L 60x45x45 tank that is currently cycling and I'd like to stock it with south american species, your general schooling fish and then 1-2 accent dwarf cichlid pairs. I was thinking about a trio of Apisto trifasciata, but I wanted to hear other opinions and see if that is at all feasible or if someone has other good ideas. I was hoping I could house two different species of dwarf cichlids (maybe A. trifasciata and A. paulmuelleri). I'll be getting the fish from here - search for apisto to scroll through the list quicker. The tank is well planted (or will be once everything grows in) and has sand bottom. There are caves between the rocks and roots.

Water parameters will be fine for most dwarf cichlids (I think right now it's sitting at ~120 TDS and pH 6.4).

Thank you!!

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you do not plan to breed your fish then most small peaceful community tank fish should be fine. A. trifasciata can be aggressive, considering its small size, but should be compatible with another apisto if the tank is properly decorated, which sadly for you the above tank is not.

Hobbes1911

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the info! I'm new to dwarf cichlids (other than rams - I kept and successfully bred and reared them years ago) and am looking to add 1 or 2 different species of dwarfs to the above tank. I have access to the following fish wetspottropicalfish- search for south american species to scroll through the list faster, and was wondering if any of the mentioned apistos would make good additions. As you can probably tell, the setup is more about the plants than the fish but I was hoping I could add one species of dwarf cichlids. I wanted to stay away from some of the color bred cacatuoides or agassizi varieties as I don't really care for the unnatural look of bright popping colors but enjoy some of the more "drab" colored species. I would for example love guianacaras but that's obviously not at all possible.

If that's not at all feasible with apistos, are there other dwarf cichlids that would fit in here (other than gbrs)?

Thank you very much for the advice!!!!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If you do not plan to breed your fish then most small peaceful community tank fish should be fine. A. trifasciata can be aggressive, considering its small size, but should be compatible with another apisto if the tank is properly decorated, which sadly for you the above tank is not.
Because your tank doesn't have a very large floor area it would need a lot of cover to break up "line of sight". Your tank is a very nice aquascape, but it doesn't really have this.

Because there are some caves among the central planting there is no reason why you can't keep one male Apistogramma and one or two females of the same species (dependent upon the species of Apistogramma). I'm not sure that A. trifasciata is the right fish for this tank (due to aggression issues), but plenty of other Apistogramma species would do.

For example Apistogramma borellii (from the WetSpot list) are much less aggressive. I like Apistogramma baenschi, but two fish, even if they are male and female, aren't necessarily a pair.

The Black Neon Tetra (or Hemigrammus rodwayi) you have could be used as dithers, and you may get some Apistogramma fry survive with H. herbertaxelrodi.

cheers Darrel

Hobbes1911

Thank you Mike and Darrel.

I won't try my hand on A. trifasciata then. Seems like that'll just end up in failure and be sad for the fish and myself. I'll add A. borellii as I've read that they are good beginner apistos and tolerant of different conditions. How many exemplars should I start with? Also, can I add some C. habrosus or since they inhabit the same strata that would just lead to trouble? And finally, would be best to keep the apistos as the only cichlids in that tank with other schooling fish? I assume since they have the same territory and decor preferences that apistos and GBRs in the above tank are too much.

Great forum and super info, glad to have found it and I'm learning a lot already.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Also, can I add some C. habrosus or since they inhabit the same strata that would just lead to trouble?
I've never tried them together, but I think C. habrosus are too bottom orientated to be successful.

If you like a small Corydoras, I found that Apistogramma cacatuoides was fine with C. pygmaeus (and C. hastatus with Dicrossus maculatus), and they make quite good dithers.

And finally, would be best to keep the apistos as the only cichlids in that tank with other schooling fish? I assume since they have the same territory and decor preferences that apistos and GBRs in the above tank are too much.
Yes, I would worry about aggression.

Apistogramma borellii
is a very mellow cichlid, and you may be able to keep more than one male successfully.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….