• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wangenflecken?

Amy D

All I know of this apisto is it is wild caught. I do not know the area in which it came from. It has almost doubled in size since I got it and I was hoping I am closer to identifying it. I apologise the pictures are not the best but I tried to get shots of distinguishing features. I'm still a newbie at apistos but my new guess is Wangenflecken maybe? I noticed a "Y" shaped vertical bar and blue spots on face. Also has slight black leading edges which makes me think its a possible female? Here goes!
20160510_012847.jpg

20160510_010108.jpg
Sorry for the ram photobombing but it gave me a good shot at her extended fins
20160510_013104.jpg

Yawning during the photo shoot
20160510_005859.jpg
Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, it's not A. sp. Wangenflecken. Wagenflecken is a resticulosa-complex species and these species show slightly diagonal abdominal streaks, not rows of abdominal spot-stripes, like your fish. Additionally Wangenflecken's vertical bars are more bowed and the lateral band is much narrower with a serrated border. I'm not sure which species it is, based only on these photos. My 'gut feeling' is that it is a eunotus-complex species from Peru. Without more photos of the fish in different moods and any other information that came with the fish (name? size? other fish that came in with it?) it will be hard to positively identify.

Amy D

Well shucks. It was worth a shot. Thanks for your input Mike :) Unfortunately I know nothing else about the fish. I think I'll stick with named species from now on like the Borelli's I got in the tank next to it rather than a grab bag of "wild apistos". It drives me nuts not knowing what type of fish I have as I like to do extensive research and know exactly how to properly care for all my fish. For now it will just remain the Unknown Apisto. Its healthy and happy so thats all that matters I guess. Thanks again :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Could you identify any of the other wild apistos that came with it? That might indicate which country from which the fish came. BTW I am currently breeding Wangenflecken (2 breeding tanks). It's a really easy apisto to keep and reproduce and doesn't get very large. They're ideal for a community tank of small, peaceful species.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….