• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is 48inchx16inch large enough for two groups of ortegai?

anewbie

Yea all fishes are different but all cockatoo are mean. There are some other options opening up - someone has Ladislao which seem interesting (@Mazan how did your Ladisalo do?) and Balsopuerto which don't interest me at all. I think if i could pick anything it would be wc borelli but no one has those.

anewbie

Can you import the borellii yourself?
No - i wouldn't know how or who to contact or pretty much anything about importing. Also when I asked a few folks why they don't import them they said they weren't available. I got the impression they were not allowed to be exported for some reason.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Also intraspecies aggression is much worse in female apistos than males. A. ortegai is surprisingly aggressive for an apisto, so I personally would hesitate to add more the 4 in a 65 - and only if properly laid out.

anewbie

Hum. I'm actually fairly happy with my sp winkelfleck. From Tom's page they are fairly passive species - any idea on a reasonable number of male/females in a 48x16. Again i realize scapeing makes a big difference. I think right now my options (based on availability) are trio ortegai; 2 pairs of inka or panduro or 3 m 5 f (guess) winkelfleck and build a colony of winkelfleck.

thoughts? Am i too optimisic on being able to keep 2 pairs of complex nijjensi fish in their given their potential for large territories ?

I can definitely build up a fair amount of drift wood in the middle till it is 12 to 14 inch high (tank is 18 inch); it wouldn't prevent the fishes from roaming further but it would create a natural incentive boundary. Though i'd have to be sure to put a little bit of food in both side to discourage venturing into another territory.

Apistoguy52

Seems a bit optimistic to me. No disrespect, but I’ve not seen a tank complex enough to house multiple pair/harem hierarchies in any of your pictures. I love Mike Wise’s best case/ general rule of thumb more than anyone, but in my experience, you need 25% of the tank volume dedicated to hard structure (wood), and another 25% of the volume filled with leaves to be plus EV over time.

anewbie

Seems a bit optimistic to me. No disrespect, but I’ve not seen a tank complex enough to house multiple pair/harem hierarchies in any of your pictures. I love Mike Wise’s best case/ general rule of thumb more than anyone, but in my experience, you need 25% of the tank volume dedicated to hard structure (wood), and another 25% of the volume filled with leaves to be plus EV over time.
I'm not offended - the only aquarium i have with any real complexity is the 48x30 and it is hard to photograph; it has 8 (3m 5f) bitaeniata; but truth be told the most i've seen at one time is 5 (3m 2f); it is kind of hard to see in there and the few times i spotted the more reclusive ones have been when they stuck their nose out during feeding time. However it does make me aware that feeding is a real issue as frequently they will enter the dominant male territory and there will be quite a bit of flaring which i consider unhealthy. Oh well i'll have to think on things.

anewbie

So this is my first pass; i'm not over joyed with the drift wood selection; so i'm going to let it bake and try to get some more interesting pieces. Once that is settled i'll put in an inch or two of leaves to bake; if you have comments please feel free to advise - the lights are just on so i can take a picture and aren't setup also there are no plants in there yet - i have a lot of floaters i can 'migrate' from other aquariums but i'll need to get something interesting for the bottom:
xqq.jpg

-
The piece further to the right is still floating because the bottom is hollowed out so it is anchored by the linear piece resting on it until it becomes water logged. The piece next to the linear piece (3rd from the right) is actually quite large front to back 17 inches and top to bottom 16 inches. I have a long linear piece and a jumbo piece way too large for this aquarium left in my closet.

anewbie

This is an updated picture if anyone have any comments on the layout. I added approx 20 pencil fishes a couple of days ago but the ortegai won't be added till next week so if you see some critical issue i can still make changes !
ooo1.jpg

anewbie

All right i added a bit of something to that side but it will be several months before i take another picture of since it is currently 'black' from the tannis.
-
This is the sister aquarium that i hope to put in 2 pairs of I. Bimaculata; My understanding from the guy importing them (he has them) they have been very peaceful in small groups so i hope there is enough room for 2 pairs. I think it will be around 6 weeks - he qt things for 2 or 3 weeks after he receives them. I'll add some pencil fishes this week; and a couple of leaves and give the plants sometime to get established before it gets darker. *I think* it works fine with ro water; my discus tank which has a ph monitor has been staying at 5.9 without much effort. The biggest headache is i have too many aquariums.

oops pictures:
ivan1.jpgivan2.jpg

anewbie

I don't have good pictures yet but here are my current observation after having them for a small bit (6 weeks). I have three - in theory 2 female and 1 male but i suck at confirmation of their sexes. They are around 1 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch so i believe they could be sexually mature. One stays mostly on one side and the other two on the other side - there is occasional chasing but not too bad and frequently the distance between them can be a leaf. During feeding they can freely eat with almost no chasing (my winkelfleck at time are a lot worse but they are clearly older).

Anyway i'm curious to see if their aggression level increases as they age. Certainly right now i would say they border on passive at least when not breeding.

anewbie

My current observation:
At this stage aggression has been relatively minor mostly with brief chase by the male. About a week ago based on the tank layout and fishes 'zone' i added a third female (so 1 male 3 female); the female at this point have not shown much aggression among each other with perhaps brief signaling. One female and the male mostly stay on one said with the other two on the other side. Naturally if they attempt or begin to breed i expect the aggression to rise. This is one of the fishes - not sure of sex - from the size i would think they are 'able' to breed as in sexually mature but a bit surprise by the complete lack of colouring which suggest they have a bit to go in growth.

ort2.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….