• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unfortunate Heater Malfunction

strohl71

5 Year Member
My area recently had multiple electrical blackouts due to bad weather. Thankfully, I own a battery powered air pump that I use to airate the tank when the power is out.

The bad news is that the power outage must have affected my heater becuase when the power came back on for good, the heater was stuck on the "ON" position. In other words, the heater just kept on heating and not shutting off. The water got up to about 94 F.

I did not notice this until it was too late for some of the fish. All of my cardinal tetras perished and all but three of my red phantom tetras were dead. My trio of cacs and my ancistris pleco were alive but in obvious distress.

I unplugged the bum heater and started throwing in lots of ice from my ice cube maker (which is hooked up to an RO filter unit). I cooled the tank to the low 80's F. The fish that were alive are still alive today (4 days later now). I have a new working heater in the tank and it is set for 79 F.

My question: The remaining fish have lost most of their appetites. They nibble on the food I throw in there but not with the enthusiam they had. Any advice?

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Sorry, don't have an answer to your question. Hopefully their appetites will improve with time. Also, maybe try using garlic extract on the food, or feeding them something that has garlic in it (like New Life Spectrum).

I wanted to ask what type of heater you were using. If it was a stealth marineland heater, there was a recall on them. If you have others, you may want to switch to another type of heater:
petsmart-mail.com/P/v3/Microsite.asp?E=1524;812537;1930616628;25;02&R=T1_ONL&A=1007

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garavar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….