• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to learn from my loss

Griz

5 Year Member
I recently lost my male cacatoides (Orion) and I'm wondering if this was a natural death or something that could have been avoided.

He was about 2 years old and became reclusive and did not feed. A few days later he hid under a piece of bogwood where there is a fair bit of room. One female regularly nests in that spot. I was able to see him and he seemed to have normal colouration (perhaps a bit pale) was breathing normally and situated upright. He definitely was not trapped. He died 2-3 days later under the wood. I examined him and found no sign of injury bloating, or disease.

Some things that may help: Mine is a moderately planted 33 gal community tank with 2 females. Water stats are very stable at pH 7.5/ GH 8/ KH 4, water changes of 15% weekly at least, sometimes twice per week. Fed quality flake food as a staple, frozen bloodworms about one per week, frozen BS 2-3 a week, and no food once a week. No changes to the tank or my routine at all and no other fish losses. Tankmates are one-lined pencilfish and rummynose tetras.

I know that these are annual fish in the wild but I thought that their life expectancy was more like 3-4 years in the aquarium. Any opinions or suggestions?

fishgeek

i have had similar and think that prehaps some arge males will do this before dying of natural or age related cause's

i think life span of these fish is variable and certainly temperature has a bearing , in both changing temperatures are suggested to make a difference
and lower temperatures 22-26 dependant on species to generally prolong life

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Römer made a study of longevity in apistos. He found that the typical lifespan of an apisto was 18 - 24 months. If you have had your male for 2 years (he was probably 6 months old when you bought him), then he probably was just old & his time had come. As Andrew wrote, temperature is important in the longevity of coldblooded animals. For most apistos temperatures around 72ºF/22ºC is optimal for long term maintenance, but the eggs/fry need higher temperatures if you want to avoid extremely skewed sex ratios.

Griz

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reponses, I was hoping to hear that.

I've kept the tank at 25C but perhaps I'll lower that by a degree or two in the future for cacs. Unless I decide to breed them of course. The temperature recommendations I have seen are, I suppose, for breeding purposes. I'll bear in mind that lower temps might be preferable for maintainance. So, I guess I HAVE learned something!

I'm now left with his mate which is also about 2 years and one of their offspring, a female who is about 1 year. I think I will allow the older female to live out her remaining life before adding some more apistos to the tank. She has become quite beautiful, developing very male-like characteristics. That will give me some time decide whick species I will try next!

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
:( Sorry you lost him. I just lost my triple red female, but still have the male. I'm pretty sure my pair were older as well. I have some fry from two diferent spawns some only a few weeks the others are 2 months old.

Good luck with your next ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….