• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to Choose - Feedback Appreciated

JG

5 Year Member
Hi all,

As mentionned in a previous post, our club is putting together an order from Oliver (BW) this week and I'm looking to buy a species that I can't find in my LFS' and which I find interesting. I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

1. Nanacara anomala (Guyana).
2. Laetacara spec. baby blue (Mato Grosso).

Mike suggested stated that "The only Laetacara species that I know about that comes from the Mato Grosso is L. dorsigera." Assuming the above is L. dorsigera what are the requirements of keeping either species? Which is more difficult in terms of water quality, breeding, feeding, etc.? Also, what ratio of m/f should one buy of either? I know it's a lot of questions but I'm not familiar with either species aside from reading about them in books. The man with the experience is never at the mercy with the man with a theory (or in my case, a book). Prompt responses are needed as this order is taking off in a few days.

Thanks in advance,

J

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have had both species. They are both wonderful fish with very different personalities.

Nannacara anomala is one of my favorites. Colors are subtle, but pleasing. They are almost as easy to breed as A. cacatuoides & Rotpunkt. The fish can become very aggressive (especially the female) when breeding. I've even had males take over broods from females that died. This is one of the species I'd keep if I couldn't replace my fish with new stock. Males are polygamous.

Laetacara dorsiger is one of the 'ugly duckling' species. They are usually fairly drab until they start breeding. Then they change colors. Depending on the population, the throat and abdomen can change to a pale to a striking deep Burgundy red. Once the fry are freeswimming the parent become very dark - almost black - with bright metallic spangled scales. This is a very adaptable species. It will live & spawn in most water values. They are a bit shy so a planted tank works best for them. Spawns of several hundred fry are typical, but the fry are sensitive to water changes. This is a biparental open substrate breeder.

Which to choose? Both, I guess.

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Which to choose? Both, I guess.

I did!!!!

http://www.ibrox.freeserve.co.uk/images/nannacara.jpg

http://www.ibrox.freeserve.co.uk/images/dorsigera.jpg

I wrote this short article for our club website which you might find useful:

http://www.ibrox.freeserve.co.uk/article_anomala.htm

Like Mike, I always keep anomala. I have less experience with dorsigera and the pair I have, have so far refused to spawn. I've only had then a few months though so plenty time yet.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
i have less experience with anomala, but with dorsigera is an other story.
i actually have some wild pair and they breed.
YES spawn of several hundred fry is not unusual, and they are usually good
parents.

i never notice the sensibility to wter change for the fry ....
but i reduce the number to ~100 to get better fish (my pikes get really happy).

They are really shy, and will be a real disapointement if you intend use them in show tank :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….