• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Laetacara Thayeri

Stijn1191

There is very little information on the internet for sexing Laetacara Thayeri. I've bought a male and a female. But I would like to double check here with the experts ;) the first one in the video is which I think is the female and the second one the male. He is a bit bigger.

Last edited:

MacZ

Pass. Haven't even seen that species in the flesh yet. Only L. dorsigera and L. curviceps in the trade here. I could only go by literature, web and that bit of experience with the other species of that genus.

anewbie

I have 6 of them and i'm 90% sure one is a definite female and at least 3 are males but i can't really provide an explanation other than the markings and size are different. One of the issue is they don't exactly sit still next to each other when i want to examine them. There is a distinct difference in the pattern on the side. I don't know if this is sexual or something else - but the larger ones tend to have a solid black line and the smaller ones has a break in the line with a bit of a copper colouring - semi circle. Might just be sample variation or might distinguish male from female - not sure.

anewbie

One thing i will note as they have gotten older tensions have risen and they are taking full advantage of the 10ftx4ft they have available. The two i think are female are still chippery go anywhere and no pairs have formed but the other 4 are showing a distinct dislike for each other.

Stijn1191

Here are some photos, they are hard to photograph. The male has a brighter yellow on his top fin + it's longer than the other fish. Furthermore the male has a red/purple-ish glow close to his dorsal fin towards it's belly. On the photo's you can see nicely the fluorescent blue/green around their gills :)

On the photo's the female is looking more stressed (dark) than she normally does, because I've been feeding them to get them to the front of the glass and the male was chasing her away from the food.

Male i presume:
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 19.12.49.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 19.14.02.jpeg

Female I presume:
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 19.14.02 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 19.14.03.jpeg

Apistoguy52

If the explanation in CA 1 is reasonably correct…”the soft-rayed section of the dorsal fin is enlarged and pointed in males, but usually rounded or only minimally pointed in females”…I’d wager both fish are male.

Stijn1191

Hmm I also saw that, but for example, look at this video. Both have pointed dosal fins but they lay eggs.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't say anything from your photos but the photo from the start of the YouTube video shows the obvious sexual differences. Male at the front is more elongate and the dorsal fin extends farther back (to the back of the caudal). The female is more stocky and the dorsal fin does not extend as far back in comparison to the caudal fin.

Bob Dixon

The dorsal threads on fish one are really long. It may be a male that hasn't colored up because of the presence of the dominant one.- I see two options. Either wait until the little one shows and ovipositor, which may take a long time or even prove fruitless, or separate them into 2 tanks and see if the smaller one gets the black spot in the middle. I'll bet a Reese's Cup that you have two males.

Stijn1191

Both have about the same size dorsal threads now. And as for as I know, Laetacara thayeri always have the black spot right? (they both have them at home, but also in the video example above which aren't mine)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….