• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trouble with my bitaeniata shishita

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi guys.

This is my first thread here, i'm Ricardo 23 yrs old and i live in Lisbon, Portugal.

First of all sorry about my English :p

I would like to ask u guys about this problem i'm having with my bitaeniata couple. i had a first spawn some moths ago but the offsprings all died... since then my female lays eggs almost every week but they just vanish!! i got them in a 54lt tank and the couple is alone in tank. i've also tried to separate the male from the female and let him stay, the resylt is always the same, the layed eggs just vanish. how can i solve this? water conditions are just fine and i just don't find any explanation for this situation. can anyone help?

Ricardo

loirUh

5 Year Member
hi

no other fish in the tank... i can't be sure they are ferrilized, but the male is fertile cuz they already had a sucessful spawn. how can i make sure they are fertelized?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I find A. bitaeniata to be shy fish. If the female is disturbed, she often eats the eggs/fry. Even sudden changes in light can cause this. I suggest that once she spawns that you cover the front of the tank and leave on a dim light (3W 'night light') at night. Once the fry become freeswimming they should be fine.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would, if you can remove the male without disturbing the female. Younger males can be very eager at courting. I find older males tend to be more mellow.

loirUh

5 Year Member
hey guys

my bitaeniata female layed eggs again... as sugested i covered the tank, now i'll wait. i'm also thinking about some layout changes in the tank so they cam feel less stressed with my presence and more safe in the environment.

loirUh

5 Year Member
the outcome was the same as ever... eggs gone female back on normal coloration.

leave you with a snapshot of my layout/setup

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Obviously you are feeding the fish well or they would not spawn. Maybe your water values are not optimal. What are your water values (pH, dGH, dKH, µS)? A. bitaeniata is a blackwater species that requires special water values. If your values are good, then I can only suggest patience. Apistos often need some practice.

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi

pH: around 5,5
dGH: around 1
dKH: around 1

the female layed eggs again and i've covered the tank for a week again and guess what... same result. i'm consedering having another pair for this tank as this pair is unable to breed.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….