• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some of my bitae

watsawat

5 Year Member
I have collect some apisto bitae for a year but I cannot breed them .
I think soft water such as Ro water can help me to breed my bitae .
How can I prepare for breeding my bitae

I think cacatuoi is easy to breed than bita
dsc03137jpg2smallnc8.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, A. bitaeniata is much harder to breed than A. cacatuoide. A. bitaeniata is a blackwater fish that requires very soft (<5º dH) and acid (< pH 6.0) water to consistantly breed. A. bitaeniata is more shy, too. I find that females are more successful with keeping broods if there is a dim (3 W) light on the tank at night.

watsawat

5 Year Member
Yes, A. bitaeniata is much harder to breed than A. cacatuoide. A. bitaeniata is a blackwater fish that requires very soft (<5º dH) and acid (< pH 6.0) water to consistantly breed. A. bitaeniata is more shy, too. I find that females are more successful with keeping broods if there is a dim (3 W) light on the tank at night.

both of my female and male bita are very shy. My tank is 24*18*12 inch and the light is 10 W . Do you think I should change it .

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello,

Can you send us a photo of your whole tank ? I find that the more dense the plants are and the more hidding spots you have the more comfortable the fish will be with their shyness. In all of your photos I can see the back of your tank and the filters etc. I cover the back of 3 sides in my breeding tanks and just have the front exposed. Maybe just a thought. :cool:
Cheers jan-kurt

watsawat

5 Year Member
This pic is the first time ,my female lay her eggs but I didn't see any fry .(I used rain water 50% .The pH was drop to 5.5)
dsc03019smalluj9.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You do not need to change your lights. I only suggest that you keep a dim light on during the night. I believe that the sudden light change - from dark to bright - often frightens the female and she eats the eggs. I also found that males - especially young males - bother the females when they have eggs. I had more success with older males and young females.

bigbird

5 Year Member
thank you for the photos of your tank. looks good. Am a firm believer that the tank setup also plays a very important role. Would cover the back and one side of the aquarium with backing paper, this assists the apoistos to settle down and that they do not get startled everytime someone walks past etc. Would also add some more caves and structures. Would also use oak leaves to get the ph down and the leaves also add the tanins. I use a baby night light with my tanks, works a treat and they also come is funny shapes. cheers jan-kurt :cool:

watsawat

5 Year Member
What's the baby night light which you use for your tank .please show me your baby night light or the pic of your tank.:biggrin:

bigbird

5 Year Member
A baby night light is a light one can buy in a baby store. it is very dim and looks like the light of the moon or a sunset. you hand it on the wall above the tank. I will get you a photo of my tank soon.
In which city are you ? I am sure a lighting store would have such a baby night light. Please let me know. Cheers Jan-kurt

watsawat

5 Year Member
I'm in Thailand in . I think If I see your tank or picture of your baby night light ,I will find the baby night light in the store in my city( Bangkok).
thank a lot for your picture.
:cool:

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Bigbird,

It was interesting to read about your procedure of covering 3 sides with black paper.

I´ve the tanks touching the next tank and I always thought that this works similar than having "target fish". The male is always busy with the male (or female) of the tank next to him.

What do you think of this?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I'm a believer in painting or covering the sides and backs of my tanks.
This prevents unwanted distractions, reduces passing shadows which can frighten fish and the fish just stand out better against a back ground.
I think it is better to provide a few dithers in their tank instead of using the fish next door.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use pieces of black paper between some of my tanks to provide privacy. I remove them when I use fish in the next tank as target fish. It is the best of both worlds.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Jose,

As they all stated, I use the paper on all three sides. Basically not to disturb the fish to much and that they do not get scared of shadows etc. I can also remove them when needed.

Have a nice day and Happy easter to all
Cheers Jan-kurt :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….