• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Apistos

S

swamp-rat

I am just starting with dwarf cichlids. I have a positive male Ap. cacatoides, double red and an unknown sex Ap. cacatoides, lemon double red in a heavily planted 55 gallon. The confirmed male is constantly displaying at the lemon, but it shows no aggression back, making me wonder if it is a female. It is most certainly plumper than the male and does not have a very long dorsal. It seems to enjoy being near the male but the male is always displaying or chasing it. Any pointers? Both were just added a few days ago.

Here is the male in front of the unknown:
Apistos1.jpg

Here is a good side shot of the unknown:
Apistos2.jpg

Thanks!
Kat

KenL

5 Year Member
A very strange coloured Apisto you have there, which I would say is a female.

It has the look of cacatuoides but I can't see the usual coloured markings (zig-zag lines below lateral band) to be sure.

He will be displaying to her as she is fat and he determines that as being ready to spawn.

S

swamp-rat

Thanks for your info. I work at the LFS and we ordered this "girl" as a lemon double red cacatoides, but it seems like a variety no one has heard of here as I was glancing around the site. Maybe it is more of a spotting gene than a color - where the body is devoid of pigment due to one giant white spot covering it. That would account for the lack of markings below the lateral.
In the picture you can see the little ceramic whiskey barrel I have placed in the tank as a spawning site in case they decide to do so. It's perfect and a little more attractive than a clay pot.

Kat

S

swamp-rat

Is there somewhere I can get more info on the genetics of apistos? I would like to know more about this particular varietal.

S

swamp-rat

Nevermind, I just read the excellent article posted here about them. I hope I don't run into the same genetic problems! She seems very healthy - I initially took her home because of her attitude (I only keep "spunky" fish) but she's doing great. The pair were "wagging" against each other earlier so perhaps things are moving along. It is fascinating to me because the tank is relatively new and my water is less than perfect.
I also acquired 3 young Cacatuoides from a local breeder and apisto fan today - I always help him when he comes in the store so he passed on 3 maturing young from his last brood to me at no cost. Later the other Apisto fan in town came in and ordered a few different kinds, like a macmersteri, borelli, and hongsloi. Odd how they all started popping up at once! He also mentioned Dave in Sisters, OR, just about an hour and a half away from me, having wonderful Apistos. I shall have to check it out. Thanks for the help, all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….