• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Received as Apistogramma staecki, any comments?

Juergen

5 Year Member
Received as Apistogramma staecki. Any comments please.

Attachments

• Apistogramma staecki.jpg
    Apistogramma staecki.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 505

Juergen

5 Year Member
Another photo.

Attachments

• Apistogramma staecki 2.jpg
    Apistogramma staecki 2.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 352

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Maybe, but it is rather deep-bodied/high-backed for this species. Maybe it is only obese. Like your 'Algodon II', there are not enough diagnostic dark markings that show for a positive identification. Do you have photos of the female?

Juergen

5 Year Member
Unfortunately the female was DOA. I will try to take more photos. His caudal fin is round. Does Apistogramma staecki have such a tail?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, neither A. staecki nor A. cf. staecki (Guaporé) have round caudal fins when fully mature. Both develop a truncate/squared-off posterior edge with short top and bottom tips on males. The more I look at your fish, I wonder if it is a steindachneri group species. It would help if you can get a photo that shows the dark markings. Catch the fish in a net and press the net against the tank glass. That should frighten the fish enough for it to show its dark markings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….