• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question On Panduro Male Aggression

Water Changer

5 Year Member
Six to seven months ago I purchased a group (6) of Juvenile Panduro's.

Within a few weeks two paired up, the female turned yellow and both she and the male turned against the other Panduro's.

I moved the pair to their own 20 Gallon High.

They spawned a few times, but the eggs never developed - my water is hard and at the time I really didn't have the time to fiddle with the water chemistry and breeding was not a top priority - if they breed in my waters great, if they didn't no problem...

Over the past several weeks the male has begun aggressively chasing the female all over the tank.

She has not dawned the deep yellow mating color in 3-4 months.

It seems that he is ready to go and she is not....

I still have the other group of Panduro's, from the original group, living happily together in another 20 GH.

Should I pull the current female to protect her?...

Should I add additional Panuro's from the original group?

This fall, I will have more time to provide a water quality more conducive to breeding, so I'd like to see if I can come out of this with an interested pair.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your male is looking for a female who will give him offspring. Now he is trying to find another female with which to breed. This means removing the present female from his territory. Sadly, any other female will likely not successfully breed if the water values are not adequate, so she will eventually meet the same fate as the first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….