• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with fighting cockatoos

dave3000

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a pair of triple reds. I put them in a 10 gallon tank, ph=7.4, gh=6, kh=5. I have a moss covered coconut shell and a couple of pieces of driftwood. No real plants to speak of other than the moss. The female quickly claimed the shell and began "beating" the male. At first he would flair his fins and stand his ground, but within a day he was running and hinding and it got worse. If she sees him she attacks and he turns tale. After 4 days of this it was affecting his feeding and he began setting on the bottom closed up. I removed the female about 3 days ago and the male is now feeding normally and looks great. Will i be able to breed these guys?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that your problem is that the fish can see across the entire length of the tank. A 10 is fine for breeding, but in nature this fish has a territory that can be much larger than the surface area of a 10, and you're female wants it all. Try to break up the line-of-sight in the tank & form smaller territories hidden from each other. Use plastic plants if you don't have live plants to make "curtains" that block the view of each other's territory.

I might add that your female may already have had laid eggs in the coconut shell and was trying to drive the male away (A. cacatuoides females don't turn bright yellow until the fry become free swimming.). Her behavior is typical of a brooding female.

dave3000

5 Year Member
I can do that or, i set up a 20 that the female is now in that is very heavily planted and is broken up as you described. Would it be ok to transfer the male in with her or better to redo the 10 and let the male establish and put her back with him? Will she feel "dominant" in the 20 because she has been in there for a while? Which would be a better situation?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My personal preference is putting the male in the 20 while distracting the female by feeding her at the same time. He might need a few days to get adjusted, but will find adequate hiding places. Once the female is ready to breed, she will find the male and lure him to her cave. Then the male will move back into his territory again.

dave3000

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike. I am going to give the male a few days to eat and "build" up before doing this. I've heard you will have better results with many fish and letting them pair on their own instead of forcing 2 fish together. Is this accurate? I have the tank space, but was hoping to use it to raise offspring.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This does not apply to harem breeding species like A. cacatuoides. When the female is ready to breed, she will pick out the best male available and breed with him. Males will breed with any female who approaches him. With pair-bonding fish, starting with 6 or more and letting them pick their own mates is better.

dave3000

5 Year Member
I appreciate the info. I haven't had apisto's in a while and have never bred them. Thats why i went with cockatoos, i heard they are "easy" to breed. I can't wait. Thanks again.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….