• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help on an ID please

tobraham

Recently my one and only male A. Cacatouides passed away and I went looking for a replacement. Luckily I came across a local breeder with some good stock and even better prices. After talking back and forth for a bit I decided to purchase the fish pictured below, an adult male A. Cacatouides. The breeder says it's a triple red, but after looking at the pictures I think it might be a quad red. After showing the picture to a few Facebook apisto groups, some seem to say it's a 'Pentacle Red', meaning it has two pelvic fins that are red.. making a fin count of 5 colored. What is the consensus here? I'm fairly new to the triple red, quad red, pentacle varieties and wouldn't mind figuring out what category this fish falls in. The fish featured in the pic below and another male should be arriving at my house this coming Tuesday, and I can update with clearer pictures then. The male in question is in the background center in the pic, behind the Ram. His female that I'm considering purchasing is on the bottom right of the pic (obviously).

Vrs3XoD.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet": William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (Act 2, scene 2). These names are just descriptive. Call it anything you want.

tobraham

I think I'll just come up with new trade names. hehe. How about 'Apistogramma Cacatuoides Super Ginger'? Sounds great to me! Look out for it on aquabid soon. Juuuust kidding!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….