• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis nudiceps

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
I saw some lovely Nanochromis nudiceps today, I managed to leave the shop with out buying them.
Please give me some advice before I go back!
They were quite easy to sex so I'm not sure if I should go for a pair or a group, help!

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Simon,

Well that got my interest!!!!

Where, how many and how much :) :) :)

Question though, are they N. nudiceps or N. parilus (miss ID'd as N. nudiceps??).

Quick way to confirm:

The upper half of the caudal fin in both sexes of N. parilus has an alternating horizontal pattern of black and white to yellow stripes (of varying intensity). No stripes on the caudal fin of N. nudiceps.

Whether it's N. parilus or N. nudiceps, husbandry is the same, similar to the Blockheads you've succesfully bred :biggrin: .

Oh, and based on my own N. parilus and Congochromis exploits, keep them as 'breeding pairs'.

Andrew

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi sixfoot tank,

Are you sure that they are genuine N. nudiceps? They're very rare in the hobby (at least in France), and usually the fish sold as N. nudiceps are indeed blueish N. parilus. Fortunately, the 2 species are quite easy to ditinguish : If there are some alternate horizontal black and white yellow stripes on the upper part of the caudal fin, then they are N. parilus :

N-parilus-pr.jpg

Pic taken here : http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/N-parilus-pr.jpg

If such stripes are absent, then it is surely N. nudiceps. And if it actually is N. nudiceps that you seen, don't hesitate for a second and go for a group!

Apart from that, I'd advice you to take a group rather than a "pair". Even though most of the time with young individuals, 1 male and one gravid female with balance strenght, taken from a sales tank and put in good conditions will form a pair, what happens when it doesn't work is quite violent, and that justifies to be careful and take at least 2 duos (not optimal), rather 3 if your tank is big enough.

Anyway don't hesitate to put as many hidings as possible, including at the surface : unfortunately I could notice personnally that when there is fights within a Nanochromis group / pair, it can be really fast and result in the death of the dominated individual. Apart from that times, Nanochromis parilus is really

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure they are nudiceps, I would have to see them again to be 100% sure. No stripes if I remember correctly.
I think I would go for a pair (or two pairs) if I can make room for them, plently of hiding places, low pH and good food should do the trick!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….