• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis dimidiatus

Neil

Hi all you westie fanatics. I recently purchased some N. dimidiatus from Zack at Aquamania. He is not sure of their true ID, but it was an interesting enough story on their background that I thought it worth the risk. Plus, Zack is a pretty sound fish-keeper and trustworthy guy. So, even if they turn out to be Zaires or something else, they still are a fairly unique Nano. I now have (supposedly) Zaire red, splendens, parilus, tranvestitus and dimidiatus? I am starting to get very curious about these Nanos. Dimidiatus hasn't been around for years, but is sometimes imported as such, but turns out to be something else. Last time I got 'dimidiatus", it turned out to be Kapou.
So the Nano adventure is continuing. I would like to get ahold of as many of thes guys as possible to try and see what the deal with them is. I am not sure why I like them so much. i think it has something to do with the fact that it is like forbidden fruit. Most of these buggers cost upwards of $100 or more and I really shouldn't be getting them, but that makes it more interesting to me. I guess that my success with the splendens (which is a very unique species) is promoting me to figure I can do the same with some of the other Nanos - Buy them for alot, breed them and make some available to those few who are interested for much less.
These (besides parilus and to a lesser degree transvestitus) are very rare and interesting animals. It would be nice to have them in the states regularly for more people to play with.
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Nanochromis

Dear Neil,

Good luck with your Nanochromis. That is a genus that I really never got into much. With all the discussion here on the forum, however, perhaps I should do some homework, try some out for myself and write an article. Besides L&S, do you know of any sources of information?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
Kapou, not to be confused with "Achoo!"

Hi again, Neil,

I think I can answer my own question. Isn't what was called N. sp. "Kapou" actually a color morph of N. dimidiatus? Can you tell me anything about them?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Randall,
Kapou is a relatively bland species, but can spot some fair color during spawning. It is not as interesting a fish as some of the other Nanos, many of which, I have never seen pics of. I do not believe that it is a color morph of dimidiatus, but present state of classification of these fish leaves something to be desired.
As far as I know, there is way more questions about Nanochromis, in general, than there are answers or firm opinions. I think just about every species has been presumed to possibly be the "real" dimidiatus. You probably have more resources than I to find out a few answers. All we have to do is get you really interested in them.
I do know that "dimidiatus" has been offered for sale numerous times in the past few years, but it always seems to turn out to be one of the other species, instead of the red variety shown in L&S. I also know that it was around with some frequency years ago (30), but seems to have been somewhat lost for sometime - apparently because of collection problems in West Africa!?
Neil

Neil

Ok, here is an update. We have a little group of us that are throwing info. back and forth via email. I have gotten permission (I hope) to post some of this on the forum. So here goes:
The first is from Zack Wilson, of Aquamania, who originally supplied a few of us with these fish.

"I do have some information from the importer on where they were collected,
but I'm not sure if it's specific enough to satisfy. I was told they were
collected from the Southern area of the Dimidiatus Region. I know he gets
his stuff shipped from the Congo, so that may also lend some info on what
area they come from. But basically we know they came from the Southern DR of
the Zaire Basin. Because of this info, that is why I was hesitant to say
with certainty what species we had. In that area there are three or four
"species" that could have been collected. From what I've seen of our fish so
far, I would lean towards ours being either some second CF of dimidiatus, or
perhaps sp. "Zaire Red", which they do have a resemblance towards. Either
way, I don't think we've lost out here. We have some nice looking Nanos that
we don't see around here."

Zack,
I am not sure that Zaire red is the best bet. I took a few photos (which I sent via email to a few folks). These photos are of sub-adult specimens that are already showing some nice color. I believe the more colorful of the 2 to be the female, because of the distinct patterning on the caudal fin of the least colorful specimen. This is inconsistant with Zaire. However, it does seem to be consistant with dimidiatus or possily sp."Genema". This fish, as far as I know could easily fall into the distribution range of the supposed collection of these fish. From the pics in L&S, they also are more aligned to the characteristics of the fish in question, if I have sexed them properly.
I will not bother Gary (Ventana Web Solutions) to post these photos until I get some better shots, but...
Ken (Cichlids1), if you can throw them up with a link on this thread, it would be very helpful!
Neil

Neil

This next installment is a response to kevinkoretev from Randall, which begins with Zacks collection information and then is followed up with Randalls response. Zack is in light blue, Randall is in dark blue.

"Dear Kevin,"

"These Nanos were collected from the Southern area of the Dimidiatus region, in the
Zaire Basin of West Africa. From what I can get from the importer, they were
taken from the South end of the the area, so that is why I was slower to say
they were conclusively dimidiatus.
"

"This is a tuffy. According to L&S, the red dimidiatus is from DR Congo (formally Zaire) near the boarder of the Central African Republic. Boulenger's description indicates Banghi, Ubanghi, not far from Bahgui to the northwest. The Ubanghi River flows from the northern most part of the DR Congo eventually merging with the Congo River and forms the boarder with the Central African Republic to the north and Congo (Brazzaville) further south.

Again, according to L&S, what was N. sp. "Kapou" and is now called N. dimidiatus (Kapou) in their new edition, as if it were the "true" dimidiatus species making the red form a color variety or a different species altogether, Kapou is located 30 km southwest of Bangui in the Central African republic. From what I can gather, the red fish is found southeast of Bangui in DR Congo, while the Kapou fish is found southwest of Bangui in the Central African Republic. One thing is for sure, assuming that he or they is or are a collector/exporter, whoever knows the exact collection site of the coveted red fish is going to keep it a secret to protect their commercial interests. Such a phenomenon is not uncommon in South America as well as in West/Central Africa and is, from a commercial perspective, quite understandable.

If we can assume that L&S know what they're talking about, then Zack's assertion that his dimidiatus are the red ones depicted in L&S's books because they were collected from the southern extreme of their range may not be correct. Knowing the country from where they were collected may help: Central African Republic may mean Kapou, while DR Congo may mean the red fish, but not necessarily. L&S suggest that the red dimidiatus may not even be the "true" dimidiatus as all.

The two forms called dimidiatus, along with similar undescribed forms from the same general area, sp. Genema and sp. Zaire-Red, may mean that all of these fish have only recently speciated, or are not quite there yet. Until more research is conducted and a revision is made, for all that we know, we could have evolutionary "transitional" forms of one or more species, corresponding to color morphs or regional variants of the same fish(es).

Case in point: Pelvicachromis taeniatus. We know that all of the regional color morphs of this species can be grouped into complexes on the basis of geographical location, specific distribution, range, dark markings and color differences. L&S have even suggested that the individual color morphs be given sub species status. The forms Dehane, Loukoundje, Kienke, Nange, Lobe and, to a lesser extent, Bandewouri, in some instances are sympatric or even syntopic. That is to say not only are they from the same general area, but sometimes share the same biotope. Given that these very similar color morphs could be loosely grouped into species complexes or even be given sub species status suggests that they are transitional forms, from an evolutionary perspective, on their way to speciation. Perhaps the same can be said for N. dimidiatus? Given the four similar Nanochromis previously cited can be found in very close proximity to one anothe! r, perhaps a transitional element is at work here as well, something short of outright speciation or something that constitutes recent speciation. Something to think about, eh?

I know that all of this doesn't help you to determine if your new fish are the red ones depicted in L&S; but, hey, you got me started!

Take care and good luck with your fish. Down the road a photo or two would be nice.

Thanks,

Randall
"

Great information! It is going to be difficult attributing any kind of species identification to these fish when just about every Nanochromis has been thought to be "the real dimidiatus". But, at the very least, we got Randall started. And that should be a big help.
Neil

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I'd be interested to hear about what you end up with Neil.
I have spent about $500 trying to get the real deal with these fish. Never have so far. I almost bought some from Zack, but decided to pass because of the ID issue. Be sure and post when you get a confirmed ID!

Rich

Neil

An update.
Randall has tracked down a potential ID for the dimidiatus in question. There is a pic on Ariel Bornstein's site of a new fish called Nanochromis dimidiatus "Leza". Here is the link to this pic:

http://blackwater.50megs.com/dimidiatus.htm

And here is what Randall has to say about it:

It's no wonder why we couldn't arrive at a more certain ID on the N. dimidiatus that we've all been discussing. Between Zack's information that the fish was collected from the southern most part of its range in Zaire and the fish resembling one or more of the existing Zaire forms, who would have thought that our little fish was only first imported in 2002 from Leza, DR Congo.

He's the real killer: Leza, DR Congo, is located in the southeastern most extreme of the country near the Zambian boarder, far closer to Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika than to the dimidiatus holotype near Bangui, Central African Republic, at the DR Congo boarder in the northern most part of the country. To give the Clique a perspective, DR Congo is nearly one-quarter the size of the US and nearly three times the size of Alaska. I've heard of fish swimming downstream and establishing separate populations, but this is ridiculous.

It is apparent that our efforts to get a grasp of this genus are getting more complex, but are aided by new and significant resources.
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Nanochromis dimidiatus "Leza"

To all interested parties:

In conversation with Ariel Bornstein, it appears that although the "Leza" form of Nanochromis dimidiatus bears the name "Leza," this fish is not actually from Leza near the Zambian boarder, but is most likely found near Banghi, Ubanghi, near the boarder of the Central African Republic and DR Congo (Zaire) which is consistent with the location of the species' holotype (Boulenger, 1915). Mr. Bornstein suggests that usage of the name "Leza" may be particular to the trade and does not designate the area from where the fish is actually collected.

Should we be able to obtain more specific collection data, we will surely post it here on the Forum.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
To all interested persons:

There has been much questioning going back and forth, both on and off the Forum of late, concerning Nanochromis dimidiatus. It appears that the fish with which some of us are currently working is what is referred to as the "Leza" form: a fish fist imported into the US in 2002. Photos of the fish in question may be found here:

http://blackwater.50megs.com/dimidiatus.htm- Ariel Bornstein's website

and here:

http://www.roundtownaquatics.com/wasmp.htm - Ken's (Cichlid 1) website

I took the liberty of forwarding the photos of Neil's fish that are posted on Ken's (Cichlid 1) website to Dr. Paul Loiselle for identification. Dr. Loiselle responds as follows:

"I share your reservations about the specific identity of your fish. We know so little about the distribution of Nanochromis species within the Congo drainage that I am loathe to apply any published name to any but fish collected from the actual type locality. Be that as it may, your putative N. dimidiatus are exquisite little cichlids and I wish you success in your efforts to get them to spawn."

So it appears that we in the hobby are not the only ones who have difficulties discerning Nanochromis species. To his credit, the Forum's own Kevin K. has successfully spawned this fish recently.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Neil

Here is a little more banter about this fish between several interested parties.

Today, 11/13/02, Peter Reuben of Atlantis Tropical Fish in Gardener, NY, advises that the Leza Nanochromis form that he is carrying was collected between Kutu and Bosharo (sp.?) in DR Congo. Unfortunately, DR Congo has two Kutus: one is north of the Congo River, just east of the Giri River in Equateur Provenance; while the other is more of a city at the foot of Lac Mai-ndombe, on the Fimi River in Bandundu Provenance. I've never heard of Bosharo, nor do I know how to spell it correctly.

Looking at a map, the Equateur Kutu location is much closer to Gemena than it is to Bangui, Ubangi, the type locality of N. dimidiatus. This Kutu is significantly south of both areas which is consistent with Zack Wilson's assertion that his fish were collected in dimidiatus' southern most range. It is important to note, however, that pending further study, we may not even have N. dimidiatus.
Randall

My response to Randalls information was-
"This is what I keep thinking. Whatever the disarray the current state of the genus, Nanochromis, is in at this time, it still seems to me that there are issues with this particular fish that lead me to a somewhat different conclusion than N. dimidiatus "Leza". I am totally OK with the N.sp. "Leza" assignment, but attributing dimidiatus to this fish is, perhaps, wishful thinking. Why are we (or whoever) not inclined to call this fish, N.sp."Kutu". As far as what has been acknowledged in the past, I think that this fish is much more representative of the previously collected fish from that area, N.sp."Bandundu" or (better yet) N.sp."Genema".
If the information that was given to Randall (By the way, good going Randall!) about the collection location of the Altlantis fish is correct, then all we have to know is, in fact, that the fish from Zack came from the same sourse (either ATF of its supplier). If not, is there still the possibility that these 2 sets of fish are similar, but not the same?
Regardless, I am not in total harmony with the attribution of the species name of dimidiatus to these fish, given our current knowledge of them and the confused issue of what is the "true" dimidiatus.
It seems to me that the entire dimidiatus issue, is clouding all of this more than necessary. I have absolutely no idea what a dimidiatus is, nor does it really sound like anyone else does :) , but I am will to go along with the groups designation, whatever that might be. I just needed to put my 2 cents out there."

Here is a follow-up to Randalls first piece of locality information.
In a phone conversation today with Pete Reuben, I was able to definitively clear up the remaining confusion concerning the collection site(s) of N. dimidiatus "Leza." The fish distributed by Atlantis Tropical Fish in Gardiner, NY, were collected between Kutu and Bokoro, DR Congo.

In my previous email message, I stated that there are two localities named Kutu in DR Congo. Apparently, the correct Kutu is the one located just south of Lac Mai-Ndombe on the Fimi River in Bandundu Province, very close to the type locality of Nanochromis tranvestitus. Going up river from Kutu, there is approximately a 31-mile stretch to Bokoro.

Given this new information, we clearly may not be dealing with N. dimidiatus the type locality for which is Bangui, Ubangi, according to Boulenger (1915). This location is situated considerably to the North in Equateur Province. Pending a formal scientific description, I don't think there is anyway to know exactly what we are dealing with; but then again, nomenclature aside, our little Leza fish is remarkably beautiful. Enjoy!

Although the informational resources are minimal, I believe that there is less of a chance of this being a relative to the original dimidiatus presented by Pellegrin (1900) and Boulenger (1915). I do think that, although differing slightly in the decription of the (unpictured male) in L&S, this may well be previously introduced, but undescribed fish, like N. sp. "Bandundu" or perhaps a previously unpresented species altogether.
One thing is certain, these are smaller Nanochromis species. As said before, they are "remarkable beautiful", although somewhat variable in their coloration.
More to come, I'm sure!

Neil

Well Randall scored again! Here is the latest in the dimidiatus drama. I would say that this information is very significant.

Anton Lamboj writes to me today, Sat., 11/15, that the true dimidiatus is the Kapou form found in the Ubangi system, Central African Republic. His assertion is consistent with Boulenger's 1915 type locality of Bangui, Ubangi.

Dr. Lamboj also indicates that dimidiatus has "a pretty wide distribution" but that it is all on one river system. In his research, he saw "no real differences in anatomical, morphological and meristic (number of structures, parts or divisions) characters" in all of the fishes from the Central African Republic downstream to south of Kinshasa, DR Congo. Dr. Lamboj suggests that all of the fish studied are different color forms of N. dimidiatus and are not separate species. He intends to conduct a molecular study of one of the regional forms to clear up any confusion.

As to what known species of Nanochromis are within that range (vast and basically the center of Nanochromis country) and perhaps species-forms of dimidiatus will, I guess, depend on the specifics of scientific study. I am assuming that he means most of the Congo Drainage system, or am I mistaken? If that is the case, then I would say there are theoretically alot of species-forms of dimidiatus!
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Nanochromis dimidiatus Revisited

Dear Nanochromis enthousiasts,

In a recent inquiry posed to Dr. Anton Lamboj concerning the morphologic relationships between the various scientifically undescribed Nanochromis forms found in DR Congo, Dr. Lamboj has shared, in my opinion, some very valuable insights.

In my inquiry, I asked Dr. Lamboj the following:

I'd also like to thank you for your clarification regarding Nanochromis dimidiatus "Leza." If I may impose, here in the States we are familiar with three forms called dimidiatus: Kapou, Leza and the red dimidiatus on page 115 of Linke & Staeck's 2002 book. Correct me if I'm wrong, but might not the red dimidiatus be better placed in a group consisting of the silver-bellied Nanochromis versus the dimidiatus types?

In his response, Dr. Lamboj states that the Kapou and Leza forms are dimidiatus and that the red Nanochromis depicted on pages 84 and 85 of Linke & Staeck's English language book, and on page 115 of the same authors' 2002 German edition, is an undescribed species, "but definately NOT dimidiatus." Dr. Lamboj seems to think that the red fish is either the same species as Gemena and Makoua or close to it. He intends to collect the undescribed red species for further study.

For further clarification, I asked Dr. Lamboj the following:

Looking at the undescribed Nanochromis forms, could one place species Bandundu, Zaire and Zaire Red, along with dimidiatus Kapou and Leza, in a dimidiatus group; and Gemena, Kindu and Kisangani (squamiceps), along with dimidiatus red, in a silver-bellied group? The silver-bellied types appear to be found further inland in and around the Ubangi and Lualaba rivers, while the dimidiatus types seem to be found further downstream, considerably closer to Kinshasa.

In his response, Dr. Lamboj expresses the opinion that all of the above forms can be grouped together. At this time, he does not seem to think that the differences between the forms are significant enough to merit separate groupings.

I hope this information brings some clarification to a genus that historically has been somewhat confusing, albeit incredibly beautiful.

Thanks all for reading.

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….