• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID help with this one please?

Picture is horrible (sorry!) and it’s in a bag, but I was told it was one thing, and as soon as I saw it when picking it up I knew it was something else. Just not sure what…??? At least it was free…haha!

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
IMG_8722.jpeg
IMG_8721.jpeg
IMG_8707.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
As I have already told you elsewhere, it's a nijsseni-group species and better photos are needed to be more precise.

As I have already told you elsewhere, it's a nijsseni-group species and better photos are needed to be more precise.
I tried. Fish burrows in sand beneath small piece of hardscape. Anytime it’s out it swims around wildly as if afraid. Comes out to eat and darts right back. I tried, but so far this is the best I can get. Apologies.

MacZ

Then stay patient. What difgerence does a day more or less until you have an ID make? Let the fish settle in. It's not like you're losing it tomorrow.

We hear the term heavily planted a lot and it rarely fits the bill objectively. Just post a picture and let people get their own impression. The "haha" gives many people a bias you don't want, btw.
It is “heavily planted”. Objectively, subjectively, either way. You’re looking at a 20 long with 6 Echinodorus (three E. amazonicus and three subalatus), bunches of Ludwigia repens and Alternathera reineckii, a top mat of Salvinia minima, and Cryptocoryne lutea and wendtii scattered in the front (forgive me that Cryptocoryne isn’t South American). I understand what you meant, and sincerely apologize if my response seems rude, but I’m matching what I feel your intentions are (assuming I know nothing about aquariums and/or plants because I’m new to keeping Apistogramma). “Haha” isn’t intended to lend any “bias”, as it is a way for me to show that I enjoy discussing information with people who I had hoped were interested as well. I’m not sure what bias it implies, unless you picture me with a nervous look on my face and literally saying the words “haha” as I look at a tank with one rock and one sprig of water sprite and say “heavily planted”, which is not the case. My apologies for creating bias as I smile or laugh/enjoy myself. I’ll try to avoid in the future.

Then stay patient. What difgerence does a day more or less until you have an ID make? Let the fish settle in. It's not like you're losing it tomorrow.
True. I’m just impatient and tend to freak out over things that are largely out of my control. I’ll wait and see!

MacZ

Na, I didn't think your response was rude. By no means. I'm just autistic and sometimes I notice things others may see differently.
It's just when you read "heavily planted" on a weekly basis and reliably people show off a tank with three tiny Anubias nana and a handful of frogbit you get cautious with that topic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….